Relocating the PM1127VF-LB DRO - Focusing on Rigidity

Logan Novice

Registered
Registered
When my PM1127VF-LB was delivered the DRO was already installed. I found that the way it was installed placed the cross feed reader component between the tail stock and the carriage. That troubled me for two reasons. It placed the reader in a position that, although a “stop screw” was in place to reduce the liklihood of it happening, it could be damaged if the carriage and tail stock collided. It also meant that space I might need to position the tail stock as close as possible to the chuck was reduced by a couple of inches. In search of a solution I found a YouTube post
featuring “MrPragmaticLee” (he has some real good ideas) that inspired me to move the cross feed reader component of the DRO to the rear of the ways. I wanted something with greater rigidity than the one in the video so I gathered up some 6061 aluminum stock and went to work. These images reveal the “almost finished” product - I still have to replace one of the gib adjusting cap screws with a hex head (it’s impossible to access that stock cap screw as things are currently installed). This conversion required a few tasks to be performed using the mill but, in a pinch and with some patience, a metal cutting band saw or even a hacksaw will get the job done.

Attachments

• 1Void.JPG
    1Void.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 161
  • 2Mounting Scale Support.JPG
    2Mounting Scale Support.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 155
  • 3T-Nut Connection.JPG
    3T-Nut Connection.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 151
  • 4Moveable reader.JPG
    4Moveable reader.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 152
  • 5Operator View.JPG
    5Operator View.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 144
  • 6Plate Mounting.JPG
    6Plate Mounting.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 143
  • 7Plate Clearing Tail Stock.JPG
    7Plate Clearing Tail Stock.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 158
looks good, I'm going to do something similar with my SB9. My only suggestion would be to brace the scale support/ holder from underneath as there's a fair lever arm there. A bit of vibration may cause the scale to bounce a little which can make the reading dither - I sometime have this problem on my Atlas which has the scale attached to the underside of the cross slide way cover.

I've thought about trying to move the cross slide DRO to the other side on my PM1127. My biggest complaint with the current placement isn't so much the decreased space for tail stock, but more around the carriage and cross slide locking screws being blocked by the DRO scale. I haven't seen anyone move theirs to the other side, but it looks like there would be room if done right.

Moving it to the other side puts it rights where all the chips fall. So getting it dirty or damaged is more likely. It also makes using the follow rest more difficult or impossible. This mod is more work, but in my opinion, better overall.

This is basically the way I made my scale mount but instead of attaching the bracket to the T-slot of the cross-slide, I attached mine to the side of the cross-slide. It looks to me like your cross-slide comes back far enough that mounting it to the side of the cross-slide would interfere with the tailstock. You did a great job keeping the functions of the machine to a maximum. Not being able to put the tailstock up against the carriage would greatly increase drilling time for me as I but the tailstock up against the cross-slide for drilling opps so I can retract the drill and go back to my set zero like Joe Pie has shown in one of his vids.

I installed a chinese 3-axis DRO on the Bernardo (same as PM 1127) I did it my way put some spacers between the cross slide and glass ruler, I can reach the set screw with a homedes!gn allen key +ss tube. The glass ruler for the Z axis was non conventional mounted in front between the feed screw and feed rod, had to remove the cross slide, feed screw for installing. To have a accurate Z placed the 3th axis on the topslide (drawback can't rotate topslide without removing glass ruler but no major problem for me), have to think about a quick release system for that but not urgent.

Grammatical imperfections maybe free as Google translate helped me to type this on my keyboard.

Yes I do. Ive had a few. I was never sure if anyone would get my screeen name especially on automotive forums.
Difficult to separate "Z" cars today with GM coming out with the "Z" Camero and us old timers making the Nissan connection. Never owned one myself. My son had a Nissan 280Z while he was in college and, like a good dad, I worked on it with him. Enjoyed experiencing good engineering under the wrench.

Difficult to separate "Z" cars today with GM coming out with the "Z" Camero and us old timers making the Nissan connection. Never owned one myself. My son had a Nissan 280Z while he was in college and, like a good dad, I worked on it with him. Enjoyed experiencing good engineering under the wrench.
The Z28, and ZL1 were options and order codes that date back to the 60's far before Nissan. The Z28 was intended to compete in the Trans Am series and the ZL1 was a big block special order race car. GM still follows this idea with the current cars.

Back