Remove drawbar before moving and setting up?

andrewgr

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
In the 728-VT manual, the section called "Uncrating and Moving the Mill" is immediately preceded by a small section called "Removing the Drawbar". It never explicitly states that you're supposed to remove the drawbar before attaching the engine hoist, lifting it from the crate, setting it on the stand, etc. However, the fact that the instruction for removing the drawbar are on the same page, and immediately before, the section on moving it makes me think maybe you're supposed to remove the drawbar first. Does it matter if you do or don't?

Unless the drawbar was fixed in place, it is probably wise to remove it prior to transport to avoid it rattling around. As far as removing prior to lifting I don't see how it should be necessary unles you planned on dropping the mill on it's top end.

They probably just don't want it to fall out somehow and get lost, or fall on somebody's head, so they tell you to grab it before you do any lifting.
-Mark

I've wondered why the manual recommends removing the drawbar as well. Since it is a captive drawbar it seems unlikely that it could fall out. I followed the instructions and removed the drawbar prior to lifting the mill onto its stand, but really see no reason why it is necessary.

My knee mill was shipped with the knee all the was down, and the head rotated upside down to reduce shipping size.

Perhaps that paragraph is a generic add-on, a hold-over from the copy/paste method of making manuals.

Back