Remove sheered alignment dowel

I have had .018 sheet metal welded with out any problems. It looked good & is still holding together!

I mean if a 1/4" pin is sheared off below the surface of the casting that would be geometrically unfavorable to TIG welding anything to it without damage to the casting.
Robert

I have not personally seen a dowel pin that is hardened, likely if it were hardened, it wouldn't not have sheared.

Recently watched a YouTube video by sixtyfiveford where he slid a piece of copper tube down a hole with a broken bolt at the bottom. Then used the mig to fill the copper tube. The weld didn't stick to the copper, and left the top of the hole threads intact.

Bolt extraction video

I have fought with 1/2" dowels that were too hard to drill with HSS and broken off flush. Carbide tipped drills won, eventually. Ugh.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I finally got a picture uplloaded. Someone had tried rotatint the pattern. The two holes in front are the ones with the broken off pins. This is part of the vari drive mechanim. I will have to remove the part from the spindle to properly access the pin.
For reference the holes on either side of the spindle are approxamately 1/4 20 thread.
Dan

Attachments

• lagun_maching.jpg
    lagun_maching.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 37
That's a tough one to drill. If it's too hard to tap a thread in the dowel pin,try drilling a hole through the pin. Then pack the drilled hole with grease and with a punch that has a slip fit it the drilled hole drive the grease down. The hydraulic force of the grease will force the pin up and hopefully out. Good luck and let us know how it turns out

If "as soon as he finish" means the dowl pin is still smokin' hot from the TIG adventure, then no. The pin will have expanded to a very tight interference fit. I would say let the whole lot have time to cool to normal before you start pulling on it.

Two things from looking at the picture... Is the one on the right a broken dowel or tap? Hard to tell from the picture, but it's got that "broken tap" look to it.

Also, are there set screws on the sides of the hub holding in the dowels?

A third question would be what purpose do these dowels serve? I doubt that it is to locate a part and it appears that maybe someone else has drilled additional holes in the past... do these dowel "drive" a part? If we understood what purpose they serve we may actually suggest you drill new holes???

Ted

Sorry for the delay, I have a devel of a time getting pix from the phone to the computer. The picture is of the bottom of the lower vair disc under the motor. The area of interest is above and slightly to the left of the '306' in the 2nd picture. The holes are in the vari disc itself. The area of interest is where the bottom of the spring connects.

Attachments

• lagun_maching.jpg
    lagun_maching.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 20
  • lagun_top_2.jpg
    lagun_top_2.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 21
Back