Remove shower faucet handle

Karl_T

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Need to put a new cartridge on the shower...

Only writing on the unit is "Belle Foret". Did some research and they manufacture for Glacier Bay among other things. Talking to previous home owner and this unit was likely installed in 2017 when they did a bathroom remodel. Maybe earlier cause just maybe they only did shower re surfacing stucco etc.

Glacier Bay is sold by home depot so we went there trying to find a similar unit - no joy.

OK, just trying to figure how to get the single handle off. there is no set screw anywhere on the collar etc. see picture. Most common way to hold handle.

The handle itself came right off. Now trying to remove the handle shaft. it wiggles back and forth a bit plus rotates easily.

tried gently prying on the whole unit - red arrow.

tried seeing if the end is actually a cap hiding a screw - orange arrow

There are flats on the stud for the handle so tried to rotate it CCW.

I have been gentle. BIG JOB if I break it.

I could use some suggestions here. Whole thing soaking in Kroil for a day.

shower valve.jpg

It looks like the threaded section (yellow arrow) is hollow. Is there a set screw there? Otherwise, I would expect that the end at the orange arrow is a cap and there is a retaining screw under it. One thing is certain; there is some sort of retention device. You just have to figure out the key.

Our Menards DIY sells Danco replacement parts for faucets. They have a huge catalog and may have your faucet in the catalog even though HD doesn't stock it. If you can't find it, I would suggest contacting Danco. They may be able to give you some advice as to how to disassemble it. Otherwise, give the manufacturer a call.

I haven't ever heard of Belle Foret. Moen is a common brand. It may be that the faucet was installed by the home builder and was some special deal that builders got . We have a Hansgrohe faucet in the kitchen. It is a German company and if it fails, I will have a devil of a time finding parts. I have heard that it has a lifetime guarantee though, which may mean I would get a replacement.

Lifetime guarantee as long as the company is still alive :)
True. But I believe that Hansgrohe is a fairly large player in the European market. , If they were to go under, I would probably be looking at a new faucet anyway.

OK, Kroil saved me arse.

gave it a good shot and went for several errands. I could twist the collar when i got back. It is threaded on and then a spline to the handle.

faucet2.jpg

Back