Removing a stuck chuck and backing plate on a ATW Lathe

Old Iron

Active User
Registered
First I tried doing it with a oak 4 x 4 in the chuck but that didn't work so I took the Chuck off.

Then I got a 3 x 3 x 1/4 inch wall tube and bolted it to the back plate. then I hit it a few times and the backing plate came loose. It was really easy to get it off that way.

We think this Lathe is about 106 years old!

Paul

Bolted On b.JPG Loose b.JPG Off b.JPG

Bolted On b.JPG Loose b.JPG Off b.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
knudsen link=topic=133.msg366#msg366 date=1287269616 said:
I hope I'm in that good of shape at 106! :D How did you keep the spindle from turning, or does it have a lock built in. I had a stuck chuck on my Heavy 10, put a 2 x 4 between a jaw and the ways, engaged the back gear, and took a strap wrench to the flat belt pulley and it turned off quite easily. I don't think it was quite as stuck though ;) There's a certain thrill when you get a stuck gizmo off after several painful hours of sweating away and it finally breaks free. Not sure if it's the thrill of success or just the pain going away :D

You can see the Oak wedge under the gear, Tryed the way you did it but after a few hrs I gave up and done it this way.

Paul

Needed to start one backing plate for the 12" chuck I got off EBay a while back. I had a 20" X 1 1/4 Plate that was giving to me about 3 years ago so I'm using that.

From 20" Down to 12".

Back Plate 2.jpg

A little swarf from the plate.

Paul

Swarf 2.jpg

Back