Removing Frame Rivets

F

f350ca

Forum Guest
Register Today
I want to repurpose a one ton truck frame, actually two that were repurposed for a sawmill frame, now I want to use the rails for the frame under my wood processor. I need the rails about 6 feet apart so I need to remove the cross members and make new ones.
In the past I've ground away or torch cut the rivet heads to remove them. Has anyone got any novel, quick, or easy method.
I have a magnet base drill, wonder if they could be drilled out?

IMG_2005.jpg

Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks
Greg

IMG_2005.jpg

IMG_2005.jpg

IMG_2005.jpg

IMG_2005.jpg

IMG_2005.jpg

Sure, a mag drill would probably work great. You may be able to get buy with just a big center punch / 2 lb hammer and a hand held drill (bit of a pilot hole to get your larger bit started - something a little larger than the shank of the rivit). I doubt you would even need to center it up very well - after all you are only trying to cut enough of the head that you can punch the rivit through (another hefty punch and hammer job). You may end up with a little scratch on the frame - but I'm guessing there is already a scratch or two on it.

I've always used a torch and a punch. I can't think of a faster way. Maybe an Arc-Air or plasma torch would be faster, never tried it. A big air chisel might work also. I think a mag drill would take forever.

Another option might be to leave the crossmembers in place and just cut them in the center, then add some bracing to spread out the rails.

I've sheared the heads off rivets up to 3/8 dia. with a good big cold chisel and a 4lb. hammer. Wear a face visor and protective clothing as the heads come off like bullets :eek 2:.
John.

I have also used the chisel off the head routine. I used an air hammer with a chisel. The slug is still tight so a punch in the air hammer removes them quickly.
For a more delicate job where you don't want to damage the hole in the frame at all, I drill a small hole through the rivet like 1/8". The slug in the frame is much easier to remove then after the head is cut off.

Here's a method that works well for me --
- Cut a "X" into the rivet head with a cut off wheel down to the frame level
- Slice the four pieces of the head off with an air chisel.
- Knock the rivet out with a punch.

regards,
Leon

Thanks for the ideas !!!!
May try the drill and see how it goes, if it works it would keep the air in the shop clean, were getting cold weather to be opening the doors to let the smoke and dust out.
Your right Jim a torch would be the quickest, the plasma torch is hard to get directed to only take the head off, once you pull that trigger metal is gone.
I must need lessons in chisel grinding John, or a bigger arm, I've never had much luck cutting them by hand.
In this case I don't need to worry about reusing the holes Ray but will keep that idea filed for the times I do.
Leon, I like your method, that small amount of grinding wouldn't be bad in the closed up shop.

Once again Thanks

Greg

i'm thinking your mag drill with an annular cutter with an i.d. just smaller than the body of the rivet. it'll cut the head off, then drive the rivet out conventionally.

Do you have any scarfing/gouging tips for your cutting torch? These tips when used correctly will eat through those rivet heads without cutting into the base metal.
Way faster than a mag drill.
Depending on the hardness of the rivet heads, I think annular cutters might break as the domed heads might cause problems for this type of cutter. If you have a chuck for your mag drill a good quality twist drill might work better.
Love your GSD!

I just recently removed sbout 4 dozen rivets from a truck frame. I started drilling and punching. At the rate of 2 rivets per drill bit (they kept breaking) I finally bought a 17" long 3/4" wide cold chisel.
I reground the end to have a single bevel, snapped a pair of vice vrips on as a handle, and cominced to wippin the heads off.
After getting the hang of it it only took about 15 hits to have a headless rivet.

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

Back