Removing Frame Rivets

When I was a mechanic, we had to occasionally cut rivets off of frame.
Pretty hard to beat a torch for this job. You can cut the heads off with out gouging the frame pretty easily with a standard cutting tip.
I have also used an air hammer. It works well enough but is just really damn annoying. After a few your hand is sore, your head hurts, and every one in the shop hates you for making so much noise.

I had to do 2 full truck frames worth of rivets for my little international harvester project. In the end i found cutting any heads i could get that were close to the edge off with the angle grinder and those micro fine cut off discs was quickest, 40 grit flap discs or sand discs on the grinder make short work of the rest.

But the biggest tip i can give is after the heads are off go along and drill the centre out with as big a drill bit that will fit, only need to go 1/4 - 5/16 deep it holds your punch on centre and the sides of the rivet colapse in a bit so it goes from 10 big hits to 2 good ones. Vise grips on the punch for when you get tired and your swings are a bit like lightening, never strike the same place twice!

Thanks for the ideas !!! Keep them coming please.
Got the frame dug out of the snow and into the shop, Herb had stitch welded an angle iron on top of one rail and a small channel on the other for the saw carriage to run on. Been cutting them off to get at the rivets and clean up the rails. Will hopefully be cutting rivets

Greg

Easy, novel (not so much), and quick you ask?

Dad used to have us help him repurpose house/travel trailers into flatbeds for hauling stuff. His method was a good cold chisel with a 12# sledge. One (occasionally two) good blow(s) and off the head comes, the rest knocked out with a punch.

Got the frame dismantled. Not sure the cost of channel equates the work involved but its done.
Used Jims method and cut the heads with the torch, they were 1/2 inch rivets, even after cleaning the head off with the grinder a few had to be drilled out, they were all REALLY tight, at best 10 to 12 smacks with a 3 pound hammer and 3/8 drift.
The rails will show up in my firewood processor thread.
Thanks for the input.

Greg

I had to change the spring shackles on my truck. After grinding off the head of the rivet I used a air chisel with a pointed tool. Popped the rivet right out. Use ear protection.
Pat

Back