Removing gear banjo Atlas 618

SlippyRider

Registered
Registered
Hi, I'm trying to disassemble an Atlas 618 for paint and would like to remove the gear banjo and lead screw bearing from the lead screw.
I see what I believe to be a pin through a collar. Do I need to knock it out?20230825_215912.jpg

I am not too familiar with Atlas lathes. It is likely a tapered pin. Find the biggest side and try tapping it with a pin punch. You want to hit it the right direction or it only gets tighter. I imagine it also works as a shear pin in use.
Martin

I am not too familiar with Atlas lathes. It is likely a tapered pin. Find the biggest side and try tapping it with a pin punch. You want to hit it the right direction or it only gets tighter. I imagine it also works as a shear pin in use.
Martin

To remove it wouldn‘t he find the small side and tap it?

I do not know if it is a tapered pin just noticed if you tap the big side of a tapered pin it would tighten it

It doesn't look to be tapered. It could be, but I don't think it is. I've whacked on it from both sides now, so I hope not.

To remove it wouldn‘t he find the small side and tap it?

I do not know if it is a tapered pin just noticed if you tap the big side of a tapered pin it would tighten it
Yup, I was still on my first cup of coffee.

I bypassed the whole end. Slid the little collar with the set crew, the bearing and the banjo all the way off the other end of the lead screw. All that just to paint the bearing and maybe the banjo? Haven't decided on that yet. Probably just do a black oxide treatment to that instead

Back