Removing rust from a drill press column on a lathe

jmarkwolf

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Two questions:

1. Is it ill advised to slow-turn a drill press column on a lathe for purposes of removing rust and polishing?

2. If not, what to use as a "remote" steady rest. My column is about 5ft long and 4-3/4in dia, my lathe bed is 3ft long, and my steady rest is only good for 1.5in dia.

How bad is the rust? I've done mine twice, both times with WD-40 and Scotchbrite pads and it cleaned up well. Did this by hand, not on a lathe. Is this an option with yours?

Toilet bowl cleaner ( The Works) It has acid in it. Do it outside and do NOT BREATH It. Al.

It might be more work to set up on your lathe than just doing it by hand with a power tool. How bad is the rust? Photos?

I de-rusted several badly rusted drill press columns on my 13 x 40 lathe. I used the steady that came with the lathe. I had to do one side then the other for each step. I have a Dynabrade belt sander, but it can be done with handheld strips of sandpaper or a disc grinder. Start out with something coarse like 36 grit and work your way up to 220 grit. Do both ends with the same grit or you will end up with a discontinuity in the middle. Just try to get a cross-hatching grain on the surface. Don't waste time trying for a high polished surface. Your column clamp will work better with some roughness. I normally run the lathe at @100 rpms and dry sand. Be sure to cover your ways, etc and wear a dust mask because there will be a lot of rust dust. When finished I coat liberally with PB Blaster Corrosion Stop or similar wax-based Corrosion inhibitor. It's not that difficult, but it sure is messy:(
Randy

I'd use a wire wheel in a hand drill, then scotchbrite pads. It'll take less time than is does to get the column out of the base.

phosphoric acid ,paper or shop towels, scotchbrite pad and elbow grease
the more time and phosphoric acid, the less elbow grease.

i have returned some really corroded steels by submerging in undiluted phosphoric acid overnight and buffing up after a wash with water

on your lathe soak a couple rags and wipe until you are satisfied, scotchbrite pads soaked, will do the same job a little quicker

If you can slip a sanding belt around the column then turn it inside out and use a locked skateboard wheel in an electric hand drill to drive the band.
I have done this many times to remove paint, light rust and smooth welds on tubes.
It takes about 2 mins practice then you can slide the belt up and down the length very easily.

Electrolytic rust removal first. Then Scotchbrite.
Robert

Back