Removing spindle on lathe with bronze bearings.

D.sebens

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I need to change the spindle belts on my early Sheldon 10”. Removing the spindle seems easy, when I put the caps back on how tight do I make the nuts? It says if the spindle loosens you can tighten the bolts or nuts down to tighten it back up. Im not sure how tight they are supposed to be? I assuming it will be something I can feel when tightening. Do I go until there is no play on the dti?

You have to tighten them up enough so that spindle has minimal play - or that will result in bad surface finishes and inaccurate parts. But they also need to be loose enough to allow for oil to get in between the spindle and the bearing.

Greg Halligan did a video on his 9" South Bend. I suspect the process would be similar for your Shelldon.

I need to change the spindle belts on my early Sheldon 10”. Removing the spindle seems easy, when I put the caps back on how tight do I make the nuts? It says if the spindle loosens you can tighten the bolts or nuts down to tighten it back up. Im not sure how tight they are supposed to be? I assuming it will be something I can feel when tightening. Do I go until there is no play on the dti?
Is that a flat belt model like the South Bends? I have a south bend 9" flat belt and use a leather belt laced with 1/8" nylon braided line (270 pound rating IIRC). Lacing instructions are online. 9 nylon strands are stronger than the leather. Since its laced I never need to remove the spindle. Easy to remove and lace up again. I've also used the same method to lace up serpentine belts. Works perfectly and relatively easy to replace if you need to tighten up the belt. Bonus is the belts run absolutely silent.
If you still need to bolt it down and adjust, South Bend had a bulletin somewhere online that detailed what to do. IIRC it was tightened until the spindle stopped in a turn or two after spinning it by hand. Thats always worked for me although I also check the spindle temperature afterwards.

No this sheldon is double v fhp belts

Back