[How do I?] Removing the 208 motor and installing a 115v motor

- Where to start... The belt drive has a shot bushing. The previous owner just moved the belt over 1 pulley on one shaft and not he other to make up for the worn belt and bearing. The angle of the belt knife edged one of the pulleys.
- The ways look like they were used as an anvil. Lots of knocks and scars, but magically the carriage is not loose near the chuck
- The gearbox in the carriage is missing teeth
- The tailstock is hammered...literally. not sure how or why that happens and the ways near the tailstock have galling. Have you ever seen galling on ways!
- It has been in a brake repair shop for the last 500 years with no maintenance and and thick layer of fine silt grinding paste all over it. Add to it a long run of short time employees abusing it.
It is perfect for what I need it for. Accuracy is not a concern. Just turning and burnishing. I think thread cutting is no longer an option. It looks like the gear drive for the lead screw is seized. I think it may be the white lithium grease and 500 years of metal and dust that turned into an adhesive.
Hey...it was free...I am happy with that.
Ah, dang. A lathe sitting near a brake drum/rotor 'turner' - cast iron dust all over and never a lick of lube, despite being in a repair shop.
The V-ways don't look too bad in the picts. The galling there at the end will need a fine stoning, no lube there for sure.
The bushing should be repairable.
Then we just have to find you some gears.

I found another motor, but this one is 3450 RPM instead of the 1725.
It is 1.5hp 115v but 22 amps! I was thinking about using a router speed controller I have but that controller is only rated at 15amps.
What I can't verify is the whether or not the switch on the lather for the motor control is able to handle the 22 amps.

is 3450 way too fast?
Is there a speed controller that will not burn up with a 22amp load?
Thanks again for all the help

Attachments

• 20191227_105626.jpg
    20191227_105626.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
  • 20191227_105630.jpg
    20191227_105630.jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 5
Unfortunately you won't be able to use a speed controller on that motor, and I would definitely run it on 240v not 120
Mark

3450 is way too fast

here is a link for my RPC design

Back