Removing the tool in the milling machine

Alberto-sp

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello. I have a cheap milling machine. Is a Weiss wm25L. It is a copy of the precision mathews PM-25VM but smaller.

The question is that to removing the tool I lock the spindle and lossen the drawbar half a turn and tap the draw bar with a nylon hammer. But It is still hard to lossen the draw bar. I don´t know if the reason is I have to tap the drawbar with the hammer harder or it is normal to keep hard to loosen it? My english is not very good but I think I make a small mess here haha

Thabk you

best regards

On the Bridgeport, I have to loosen the drawbar more than that, a few turns at least, so the drawbar spins freely. Possibly a half turn does not really disengage the drawbar enough.

Tapping on the drawbar to unstick the taper is a universal custom. Loosen it a turn or two, tap it with a soft mallet, unthread by hand and drop the tool free. It should be easy to remove the drawbar, I suggest doing it for a cleaning and inspection. If the threads are not perfect, clean and polish them up. That will ensure your tool changes are smooth.

I have the PM 30. Loosen about two turns, Press up with your hand on tooling. Tap down with small brass hammer. It will take a couple of times to determine how much down force is needed. It's not much.

I used a hose clamp to attach a chunk of aluminum to my drawbar wrench. The aluminum is soft enough to not damage the head of the drawbar bolt. The weight of the wrench gives it enough heft to allow a good, solid whack.
kHPIM2894.jpg

Last edited:
An 8 Oz hammer is all you need, you loosen with wrench then spin it a few turns then a gentle tap, very little effort.

We found a lead hammer at an estate sale, it was ugly but now lives on the mill table.

Smacks the draw bar as well as seating work or adjusting anything else.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Back