Repainting Atlas 10100 Lathe

Jfleisher

Registered
Registered
I recently acquired an Atlas 10100 Mark 2 lathe in fairly good shape. I've been working on getting it cleaned up and am starting to look at repainting it. I like the original factory blue, and I am seeing mention online about the Ford blue carried by Tractor Supply Co. being a close match.I'd post a link but I don't have enough posts yet, lol.

I'm just looking for suggestions on the painting of this particular model.

So far I have found one mechanical issue during the restoration, when I removed the tumbler gear assembly, I found one of the gear studs had broken off, and was barely hanging on by a sliver of metal. These are pressed in place, but I had to weld it back on, and it is working fine.

I got a fairly large selection of tooling with the lathe including the following:

4" 3 jaw chuck
4" 4 jaw chuck
Faceplate
About 6 Armstrong tool holders
Original lantern tool post (missing rocker)
Atlas milling attachment

From the photos that I've seen, I would question any need to paint. I would instead spend my time and money on a decent quality 0XA QCTP and set aside the lantern tool post and Armstrong tool holders for historical display.

Yes, I have a QCTP on order, it should be here this week. My OCD wants me to touch up all the chipped spots, lol.

The Armstrong tool holders remind me of shop class in high school...

OK. I can understand the "need" to touch up chips and scratches. :)

OK, I got the QCTP yesterday. The provided T-slot nut was too tall to allow the new post to tighten fully, so I had to remove about .05" from the face to make it work. Good thing I had a lathe... I jury-rigged the lantern toolpost with some shims and the new toolpost works great now.

Yes, unless you buy a QCTP advertised as already fitting a specific lathe, you quite often have to modify the T-nut that came with the TP or make one from scratch. It was that way 30+ years ago and still is today. On the TP's that are suitable for a variety of makes, I think that they probably make the T-nut to fit the largest one as it is much easier to remove metal than it is to add it. :)

It is a 0XA from Little Machine Shop, made by A2Z. I had one of their QCTP on my 7x12 and it worked great.

It is a 0XA from Little Machine Shop, made by A2Z. I had one of their QCTP on my 7x12 and it worked great.

Thanks for the reply. I have been looking for a QCTP for my TH42 or trying to build one myself. It always helps to hear from someone about their experience with an item prior to purchase. I currently have a 4 way tool post which came with the lathe.

I recently acquired an Atlas 10100 Mark 2 lathe in fairly good shape. I've been working on getting it cleaned up and am starting to look at repainting it. I like the original factory blue, and I am seeing mention online about the Ford blue carried by Tractor Supply Co. being a close match.I'd post a link but I don't have enough posts yet, lol.

I'm just looking for suggestions on the painting of this particular model.

So far I have found one mechanical issue during the restoration, when I removed the tumbler gear assembly, I found one of the gear studs had broken off, and was barely hanging on by a sliver of metal. These are pressed in place, but I had to weld it back on, and it is working fine.

I got a fairly large selection of tooling with the lathe including the following:

4" 3 jaw chuck
4" 4 jaw chuck
Faceplate
About 6 Armstrong tool holders
Original lantern tool post (missing rocker)
Atlas milling attachment
Hiya, congrats I got one too a few months ago, just getting it finished now. I didn't like the original blue, to me it looks too "toylike" so I went with a slightly darker shade of Rustoleum brush enamel: Gloss Royal Blue 7727.
I'd post a pic but I'm not sure if I am allowed to yet...You got a good selection of tooling- I'm going to add an OXA toolpost and a 3-jaw chuck eventually. Cheers!

Back