Repair holes in popcorn ceiling

Karl_T

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Milady wanted a different light in the kitchen....

The old light was held up by little plastic anchors. Got those pulled and left a small hole. She wants them filled. Small issue but its a popcorn sheetrock finish. Is there such a thing as spackle in a tube? I think if I try to dab it in with my finger, it will leave a spot that she won't like. Other ideas??

Could try texture coat repair. I have seen a lot of different brands over the years. You can buy a carton on texture coat. I still have a hopper gun for applying that stuff.
This one might work : Homax Texture Coat.

Last edited:
Is there such a thing as spackle in a tube?
There is! This is just one brand, there are others. Often what turns out to be most objectionable is the big smear that often happens when people try to fill a hole. My suggestion would be the tube and try to fill just the hole and nothing else, resist dabbing with the finger if possible, and hope for the best.

FYI - when doing larger runs where we wanted our own plaster mix but in tube format we would use either “blank” caulking tubes from the paint store or a pastry icing bag.

IMG_2247.png

Repeated "blobbing" with the tip of the tube would probably match pretty well

Redneck method of fixing popcorn ceiling.
You need; 1 package of unpop popcorn, cast iron skillet, can of spray oil (Pam will work), Spray adhesive, and dog.
First turn burner on range to high. Second spray Pam in pan, Third add popcorn to hot pan. Forth spray ceiling with adhesive, Five as popcorn starts popping, hold pan under the area that needs the popcorn. Repeat until done. What does not stick and fall to the floor, let the dog clean it up.

Patch the hole flat to the sheet rock then use the spray can of pop corn ceiling repair. Or seal everything in the room off with plastic and scrap the ceiling clean. Check for asbestos many of the pop corn ceilings use the stuff. If it was me I would use the spray can repair. No one will see it on the ceiling.

Back