Repair holes in popcorn ceiling

Just wait until you try to paint the repaired area to match the rest…
That's usually what stands out - the color difference. Once you notice it, the difference will annoy you. So don't look up at your handiwork, or be prepared to paint your ceiling. I'd imagine that the only way to easily paint popcorn ceilings is to spray them. Maybe a shaggy roller?

I'd attempt a dot of ceiling paint with an artist brush first. Hopefully it can be blended. If not, you are looking at adding painting the ceiling to the honey do list. I have had zero luck getting a decent match, simply because the original paint color is no longer matching what's in the can. It's faded, or yellowed. So I ended up painting the ceiling so a whole room was done at once.

Once you notice it, the difference will annoy you.
When I clubbed the basement down the other house , I mounted one electrical outlet 2" lower than all others . No one would ever catch it , but I still see it and it bothers me to this day . :rolleyes:

I once used toothpaste when moving out of a rental. Not sure how well it held up though.
Toothpaste works quite well in a spot like this…done it several times over the years…

Not surprising when you think about it, really. A primary constituent of some toothpastes is in fact gypsum.

The smaller you can keep the patch the better off you are. You have several good suggestions just a matter of deciding which will be best for your situation and skill set.

For holes no bigger than a quarter, keep squirting Alex latex caulk in there until just short of full. Let that cure for an hour or three, and then take that same caulk and gun to dab you some popcorn looking stuff on there. Resist the urge to put your fingers in it. Work it like putting icing on a cake.....
As noted above, if you are gonna have to paint the patch, you'll save time and money by just painting the entire ceiling.

Back