Repair to DRO cable

oughtsix

Active User
Registered
I have an ACU-RITE Micro Line DRO for my mill. Somewhere in the move to a new shop, I damaged the 6 pin end going into the readout. The manufacturer is going to call me if they know of a fix. ( after 2 days, no call) My question- Can an end be replaced? It seems to be about the same as a PC. I don't really want to buy a new DRO since the micro line has been discontinued. Any advice would be great

Thanks,

With some care, a different 6 pin mating set could probably be located. Most of the reader cables are shielded, so that would have to be taken into consideration. Can you post a picture of the male and female parts of the connection? We can probably help you locate a substitute.

Pictures would help. If the connector isn't destroyed and the wires are just pulled off, it should be no problem to repair it by soldering. If you're not set up for electronic soldering, you could take it to a repair depot - anyone who regularly fixes electronics. They will need to know which wire goes to which pin, though.

The pinout should be the same as the other axis, so as long as you have a sample to match to, it should be a simple matter.

Here's a photo, I managed to get the outer sleeve back to roundish. and with a careful jiggleing I can get it to go into the monitor. It seems to not be transmitting the signal. I hope it is the pins in the connector and not the end mount.

The plug in the photo looks pretty good now, but when I discovered it out, it looked like I whacked it with a hammer!
acurite.jpg

thanks,

acurite.jpg

That looks like a computer ps2 connector. Unfortunately it is molded on which makes it difficult to figure out the pin out. It would be easier if all 6 wires were used then cutting it off and continuity testing would give you the pin out but if it only uses 3 then it'd be tough to figure out which pin the broken connection goes to since there would be 3 pins with no continuity anyway.

I probably still have some ps2 extensions laying around maybe one would help?

Steve

It looks like a 6 pin mini DIN plug http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_111878_-1 Most of these you just snip the old end off and re-solder the wires to the new connectors. The wires on yours look a little fatter than I have seen so I am not sure this exact model will work. You may have to trim some of the strain relief off. The small wires inside should be different colors so you just match the color to the pin location using the original as a guide.

Jeff

I'll go shopping for a part. A friend in the computer tinkering art has a box full of connector etcetera, so I'll see what I can get to work. Will post an update. Tony, thanks for the wiring diagram. I think that's the right stuff,

Just fixed my DRO ! Replaced end with a standard PS2 cable from the local computer store. Just matched up the wires to pins, added some solder and it is back to reading the x axis. Tiny, tiny wires!

Back