Repairing a 30 year old water pressure

petcnc

Active User
Registered
After 30 years of reliable service my water pressure washer stopped working. The motor works but the water has no pressure at all.
I have bought it from UK when I was living there and so far it worked ok for the occasional use I make.

P9042669-s.jpg
Compared to modern washers where plastic dominates, this is a metal body unit that was made to last (and it did last 3 decades!!).

P9042670-s.jpg

PART 1 Disassembly and inspection

These units are of simple construction having a pressure head consisted from 2 parts. The “motion giving unit” that is bolted directly on the motor and the “water pressurizing unit” that is bolted on the motion giving part where the water is pressurized.

P9042686-s.jpg

3 rods go through both units that achieve forward and backward movement from the motor through an eccentric shaft .

P9042685-s.jpg

P9052711-s.jpg

The rods wok in oil bath in the first unit, exit through oil seals and enter the second unit through o-rings that are secured in bronze holders.

P9042689-s.jpg

To keep the high pressure water running in one direction a 6 valve system is used that are covered by bronze screw cups.

P9052717-s.jpg

Inside the valve chambers there are simple plastic one way valves that have seen better days as debri and o-ring parts found a way to go through them and make them inoperable.

P9042672-s.jpg

Those valves are secured by the bronze screw cups and sit on o-rings that have lost most of their meat.

P9042674-s.jpg

The chambers where the valves sit were corroded as well.

P9042681-s.jpg

It requires some treatment in order the new o-rings to sit and seal properly

P9042679-s.jpg

The main o-rings that seal the rods were in bad shape also.

P9042673-s.jpg

PART 2 Repairs

As the 3 rods have been replaced with stainless some 20 years ago they were ok. Just minor scratches that does not affect their operation

P9042675-s.jpg

So the whole unit was repairable!
A few parts later the repairs started.

P9052691-s.jpg

The valves received a thorough cleaning.

P9052692-s.jpg

To clean the chamber of each valve I have been creative and instead of fixing the unit to the mill, centering it, using the boring head and spend hours, I used a simple device made to manually clean the taps when you need to change the tap washer.

P9052704-s.jpg

The device bolts on the tap and by rotating it, it cleans the bottom where the seal sits

P9052705-s.jpg

That was exactly the way it was used in the pressure washer.

P9052708-s.jpg

It worked like a charm

P9052700-s.jpg

All chambers cleaned

P9052710-s.jpg

The rest was a matter of fitting the new parts and assembly the unit

P9052716-s.jpg

Some cleaning, new oil, a new plug and the unit is as good as new again.

Last.jpg

Thanks for reading
Petros

Back