Repairing Cross Slide Screw, Need Suggestions

The force really only goes one direction on a lathe. What about cutting a step on that side of the insert, and a matching counter bore on the old nut? Then just about any retaining method on the opposite side would be fine, or even plain old locktite.

It not hard to make one.
Use your all thread

The nut is always a problem.

You could make one but this is faster.

Dave
My “all thread” Acme threaded rod can’t be made into a cross slide screw. The OD of the original screw where it’s not threaded is 5/8”. The largest part of the Acme threaded rod without threads, its minor diameter, is only 1/2”. The nut in the link is the wrong pitch. It’s available in the correct pitch but it’s too small on the OD to fully fill the form of the original part. In other words, the top corners would be missing which would reduce the stability of the nut. Everything needed to do the repair as detailed in the first post has already been purchased and the only item that hasn’t arrived is the tap for the nut so I'll continue with the existing design and materials.

It's been done before. It'll be done again. If something goes south, you really aren't out much. I don't hear many failure stories....

I do tend to agree that taper pins are quite stout. Depending on what size tooling and "stuff" you have, it's not "necessarily" going to be "that much" better. How hard can you yarn on that knob? That's a good metric. How hard is your power feed going to yarn on that knob? That's real when you're facing off a surface that was a little more irregular than you first guestimated. You figure it out right quick, but the power feed gears know exactly what's happening, instantly....

Personally, I would do a press fit and/or use a chemical retaining compound. 603 comes to mind, and here's why. It's NOT for securing press fits, but I'm gonna recommend it that way. Don't worry about reaming to a fit, instead, bore your pilot hole. There will be tool marks. That's good. Dial those in close, as you don't want "much" interference at that size. (I'm thinking half to 3/4 of a thousandth interference, leaning towards half), it's a small amount, but verify that as I just pulled that out of my I just think I remember that). It won't take a large press to a very good press fit here (although it wont' hurt). Anyhow, the "texture" from less than perfect "regular" pass on the boring (no finish pass) will give you tool marks that will make the press fit still press and take torque, and (in theory) hold the whole thing together as is. Although it is defnitely a compromise over a "perfect" finish on both parts, the "backwoods" way I'm describing still holds "most" of that. And the Loctite... The loctite retainer compound will still have somewhere to sit, so it doesn't get pushed to the bottom of the hole, where it's useless. It will give an excellent bond in this use case. Best of both worlds, and it makes strong joints. Not for NASA stuff of course, but for one off jobs that aren't getting the plans reviewed by a proper engineer... That's what I'd do. How strong? Better than either joint by it's self, but not the "sum" of the two possibilities if they could both be done properly on the same piece (which they can not, they're mutually exclusive if done correctly).

Dimensionally speaking, I'd probably shoot for a 3/32, or 0.100 inch wall thickness on your bore in the 5/8 section. (no those are not "the same", that's the ballpark figure area. There's no blueprints here). The larger diameter of the "outside part will have a much easier life than the "geometrically challenged" pin on the other part will. Save as much of the "pin" as you can without making the bored wall "too" thin.
Maybe one of your reamers comes out close to that? I'm not doing the math.... But like I say, if you can get a "OK toolmarked finish surface finish inside the bore though, overly pointy tool, or overly aggressive feed to "thread" it a little... Press plus a retainer compound that actually stays... There's some engineers screaming and hollering right now, but it's an option. Unquantifiable, but tested, stout, and functional.

FWIW. That's my thoughts on a subject with as many workable solutions as their people on the internet posting solutions....
Thanks, Jake. You raise some interesting points. Under normal conditions the torque on the cross slide handle is probably measured in ounce inches. Facing a rough or way out of square piece can result in forces being exerted in both directions and with vigor. I tend to be conservative on rough surfaces and sometimes even take the really bad high spots off by feeding manually.

The only reason I mentioned a large press was because the overall length of the screw is fairly long at about 17" which would require a capacity of over 18" before pressing the parts together. I have a bench hydraulic press but it doesn't have near the capacity needed. The idea of boring rather than reaming makes complete sense for using with a chemical compound. I know NASA engineers at JSC. They would make it mirror smooth to eliminate sources of stress fractures and then try to figure out now to keep the parts together.

The .401 reamer would give a wall thickness of 0.1095, very close to your .100 figure but boring just makes better sense for the improved tooth of the finish. The 5" guns on the Texas often use a keyway and key or two on larger gears to absorb torque and a taper pin to locate the gear's position on the shaft. In this case a combination of a light press fit, 603 and a tension pin might be the ideal solution. I just have to put a mechanical fastener through it. The local True Value carries both tension and taper pins. That sends my mind back to "How hard can you yarn on that knob?" With a 3" diameter handwheel could I break a 1/8" or 5/32" tension pin? Not likely and if I did, it served as a shear pin and saved everything else. Tension pins are not ambiguous when it comes to removing them. Sometimes it's really hard to tell which end of a taper pin is the big end, especially on something like those 5" guns that were built in 1912 and have been beaten on no telling how many times over the years. They probably haven't been apart since 1945 until recently.

This is great food for thought. Thanks!

The force really only goes one direction on a lathe. What about cutting a step on that side of the insert, and a matching counter bore on the old nut? Then just about any retaining method on the opposite side would be fine, or even plain old locktite.
Sorry; I'm having a little trouble understanding. What are you calling the insert? The old nut will not be reused. The original Acme thread is 8 pitch but the OD of the threads are only about .605". I don't think they wore down from .625"; I suspect that it was either a metric or random (spec'ed by an engineer) OD with an Imperial thread pitch. The threads and nut will be new Imperial parts when I'm finished.

Facing rough cut workpieces puts both tension and compression on the screw. Internal boring and threading put tension on the cross screw while OD turning, threading and knurling put compression on the screw.

It's really hard adjusting to a direct reading cross feed dial. It's the first machine I've touched in the 15 or so years since I started machining that didn't measure the radius.
I despise a direct reading cross slide dial!

My “all thread” Acme threaded rod can’t be made into a cross slide screw. The OD of the original screw where it’s not threaded is 5/8”. The largest part of the Acme threaded rod without threads, its minor diameter, is only 1/2”. The nut in the link is the wrong pitch. It’s available in the correct pitch but it’s too small on the OD to fully fill the form of the original part. In other words, the top corners would be missing which would reduce the stability of the nut. Everything needed to do the repair as detailed in the first post has already been purchased and the only item that hasn’t arrived is the tap for the nut so I'll continue with the existing design and materials.
You posted (5/8" 8TPI LH)
If 1/2" 10 tpi LH ihave tap that size.
Remember the Chinese will do oood things in manufacturing and you work around aka (fix there mistakes.)

The dial will tell everything
What does dial say 0 to ???

Dave

You posted (5/8" 8TPI LH)
If 1/2" 10 tpi LH ihave tap that size.
Remember the Chinese will do oood things in manufacturing and you work around aka (fix there mistakes.)

The dial will tell everything
What does dial say 0 to ???

Dave
The thread is 8 pitch. The dial goes 0 to .250 so .125" per revolution; direct reading. Would be nice if it was 10 tpi because it's so intuitive. My mill has 10 tpi leadscrews but it's an Index; 100% American. I understand about the Chinese. I have a smaller Chinese lathe but fortunately the Victor is from Taiwan, a 1988 model.

The thread is 8 pitch. The dial goes 0 to .250 so .125" per revolution; direct reading. Would be nice if it was 10 tpi because it's so intuitive. My mill has 10 tpi leadscrews but it's an Index; 100% American. I understand about the Chinese. I have a smaller Chinese lathe but fortunately the Victor is from Taiwan, a 1988 model.
Anyone repairing a screw like this should read the thread called Evanut. One of the biggest threads I have ever read.

Why wouldn't you change the screw to 10 TPI while you're at it? A dial is easy to make!

A dial is easy to make if you have all of the right tooling. I don't have anything but a Super Spacer for spacing intervals and moving it 3.6 degrees per operation is not particularly easy, especially doing it 100 times with zero error. I considered making new dials for my mill-drill before I bought an Index 645 mill and it was just more of a pain than I wanted to deal with. The best inexpensive option I saw was to use a 100 tooth circular saw blade as the guide but about that time I bought the Index mill.

Back