Repairing destroyed vise

I believe you completely. But that sounds like an aweful lot of work. Lol. For my hobby purposes, this vise will be great.

Well, I'm calling it done. Now that I have a good quality face mill, I finally finished the jaws from 4140. Got some good quality flat cap screws, I re milled all the surfaces because I wasn't satisfied with the result of the other crap facemill. I honed all the surfaces, hence the scratches. With various parralells and a 123 block, and my sticky mitutoyo .0005 DTI, I'm getting almost no needle movement on jaw lift, squeezing various shapes. Run out on various surfaces is .0005 or less. I even have it trammed nice.
Surface finishes are smooth but less than visually nice.
This is a nice vise now. I need to make/get a better handle cause the sawed off limb that it came with is not very nice or comfortable.
I think I'm pretty close to getting a surface grinder. I found a few within a reasonable budget and ive worn down the Warden and might let me spend some money!
If I get one, I'll maybe revisit some of these surfaces just for visuals.
But I think I'm happy with how this turned out.

IMG_20180131_170201.jpgIMG_20180131_170214.jpgIMG_20180131_170245.jpgIMG_20180131_170251.jpg
IMG_20180131_171641.jpg

This vise is a Hylo from England. I've never heard of them before. Any experience here with that name?

Remove the jaws, mill down 3/8 inch past all the holes on the bottom and then epoxy on a new stainless steel floor nice and straight with the newly milled bottom.

Make new Jaws.

Keep the other non part-holding marks for character..

Back