Repairing plastic part for fridge

martik777

Active User
Registered
Part snaps into the fridge body to hold a light.

The 2 pieces circled in black have broken off. I have them so I can measure the exact dimensions.

I plan to replace each with an L shaped piece of aluminum screwed into the body which is ~.14" thick. Will mill them to replicate the locking tabs

Any other ideas?

The part is an unbelievable $100 lol
fridgeLight.png

Yeah, modern stuff is designed to fail as soon as guaranty runs out.
We paid ~$3,000 for new fridge/freezer and the LED lights stopped working about a month after warranty period

Yeah, modern stuff is designed to fail as soon as guaranty runs out.
We paid ~$3,000 for new fridge/freezer and the LED lights stopped working about a month after warranty period
Yes, I'm afraid to buy new appliances. Both new fridge and stove had issues within 2 years. The ones they replaced were 30+ years old and still working.

Just repaired my 30 year old whirlpool washer motor trans coupler for $12. It's indestructible but uses a lot of water.

Part snaps into the fridge body to hold a light.

The 2 pieces circled in black have broken off. I have them so I can measure the exact dimensions.

I plan to replace each with an L shaped piece of aluminum screwed into the body which is ~.14" thick. Will mill them to replicate the locking tabs

Any other ideas?

The part is an unbelievable $100 lol
View attachment 475188
I doubt that the Aluminum replacements will flex enough to work (and bottom two may break off if you try to force it). I would suggest thin spring steel with “humps” instead of the wedge shaped “hook” originals.

Velcro...

Double stick tape...

MEK

if that is styrene plastic, try MEK. It is solvent for that, and it will weld it back together.

Or, just use velcro if it needs to come off for some reason, double sided tape if not

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

double tape will probably not stick because it's cold. Once it does stick it should be good.

This sounds like a job for a 3D printer.

We have a Frigidaire dishwasher that has some complicated little clips to hold one of the plate racks upright. The one of the clips of broke. I managed to weld it together and added some extra material to strengthen it. It lasted about a year. The clip has a fraction of an ounce of plastic and the cost for molding one would be a few cents but the replacement part is $50.40

This sounds like a job for a 3D printer.

We have a Frigidaire dishwasher that has some complicated little clips to hold one of the plate racks upright. The one of the clips of broke. I managed to weld it together and added some extra material to strengthen it. It lasted about a year. The clip has a fraction of an ounce of plastic and the cost for molding one would be a few cents but the replacement part is $50.40
My 1st thought but no plans anywhere for this part

Back