Replace or repair argon flow meter regulator

ericc

Active User
Registered
Hi. I just broke a second argon flow meter in just about that number of years. The first one worked great. It did a lot of good TIG welding, then one day I turned on the gas and the needle went all the way up no matter where the handle was set. Clearly, it was useless. I did a little Internet searching, and I found out that the high pressure control valve seat often goes bad, and has to be replaced. There is a rebuild kit that should fix the problem for $40.

Then, I looked at Hobby Machinist (search) and found this:

Hmmmmm. So I put the regulator in a box and decided to deal with it later. I had a Victor AF150 on the shelf, and placed that one in service. Meanwhile, I sent Victor an email about the broken AF150 regulator with the serial number. I received a reply saying that that wasn't their serial number and that it looked like an AF 150 regulator, but really wasn't one. They asked me to send some detailed photos, which I did, and they never replied. I figured that I must have gotten a "Made in USA" fake.

Anyway, the replacement Victor AF150 did just great, and helped make a lot of good TIG welds until last week when the low pressure side needle went all the way up and it blew gas out the relief hole. I was afraid of getting a high pressure injection injury. So, I opened it up and examined the valve spring and seat. It looked fine and I polished it up with a wood stick. Still had the same problem.

Now, I am looking for suggestions on what to do. For $40, I can get a repair kit from regulator torch repair. Maybe it will work. For $65 and postage, they will repair it, but I am still waiting on a reply to my inquiry. Or, I can buy a new Victor just like the two that have blown up. They carry a premium price, but I can get them from Cyberweld, at the link in the referenced post. The OP bought a cheap import flow meter and it seems to work for him, but he needed a special adaptor since the import has odd threads. Or, I can go to the LWS and ask what they have. In the "good ol' days", this would have been the correct thing to do. You would have paid dearly, but 10 years later, the sting would be forgotten, and you'd still be weldin'. This ain't the good ol days, though.

Any suggestions? Too many choices? Flustered

replace, don't repair. they are mostly a dime a dozen nowadays.
i bought a cheap regulator (to get broken) a couple years ago- it still works beyond my expectation.
if you are making money daily from your rig, either buy a good one or get 2 cheap ones

I've always wondered, what REALLY is the difference between a $200 one and a $40 one. I mean, I put a flow meter on mine and check it, adjust accordingly, set it/forget it. I've never had one go bad (I crack the tank open VERY slowly so as to not shoot the ball bearing out the top of the plastic flow gauge.) Honestly unless I hear compelling information, I'd rather buy them cheap and just replace them.

Check local welding supply where you get your gas, See what they want to rebuild it.

Replace. $35 and work great.

Click pic

I use them in my custom-made gas-mixing apparatus where I can dial in ternary gas mixes for MIG welding. They work great straight off the tank.

uc

There's a guy here in Bakersfield who rebuilt my acetylene regulator and did an outstanding job, did it while I waited.

Wow, great replies. So many of my friends have the cheap Chinese ones and it seems like they are doing fine. They cost less than a repair.

I ended up spending $70 odd on having Starrett repair a dial indicator. In the meantime, I bought a Harbor Freight cheapy for $9.99. The Starrett is a beautiful tool, but it will stay in a box until the cheapy dies. That Harbor Freight is a little tight, like all the cheapys, but it is accurate and smooth. I suspect it will last a lifetime.

To me, the whole purpose of buying a top-shelf name brand like Victor would be so that I could go to the parts counter at my local shop and get the components or kits that I need to do the repair. If it costs $40 to replace a $200 regulator, then you win. If you replace a Victor with a Guangdong Gas welding regulator, you now have a $40 regulator that you throw away every time it breaks.

Back