Replacement Bearing Shields

KyleG

Registered
Registered
While I had the spindle out of my Logan 825, I noticed that the bearing grease was pretty crusty (I suppose that's to be expected of 65 year old grease) so I stripped and repacked the bearings. I was a ginger as possible removing the shields, but they did get a little distorted, and one of them rubs now. I think I can tweak the one that's rubbing to fix that, but I'm wondering if anyone makes replacement shields that I could use instead. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

My guess is you'd have to buy new bearings. Never seen just the shields offered. If you can eliminate the rubbing, you should be fine.

I never have (heard of such a thing). My guess is that the shields (assuming that they still have any) are on the list of parts that employees are forbidden from selling. On the grounds that it takes a special widget to successfully install them and that installing one without use of the widget has a high probability of causing premature failure. Which the company might be sued for.

My suggestions would be to bend it so that it doesn't rub, buy a replacement (if you can) or make a substitute for the shield (if there is room to install it).

Just bend it a little until it doesn't rub, as long as it's not howling like a mashed cat it won't hurt a thing.

Back