Replacement belt sourcing

When I started ,belts came with a length code. We would have to be careful, we could use two long and one short, but not the other way around. Now they are "matchmaker" , so you have to stick to one brand in a set. Their claims of correct lengths are BS.

I once owned a Clausing lathe with a Reeves drive, old Bridgeport mills also use this method.
The longer lathe drive belt may be purchased here https://www.mcmaster.com/variable-speed-v-belts
Many old machines employ these drives to this day so companies continue to produce the belts for this niche market.
This may not be true in the near future as mechanical variable speed drives are a relic of the past.

Thanks P Waller. I took a look at the McMaster Carr offerings. It's a good reference but turns out V-belt Supply has the correct 1930V400 VSD belt as well as the correct (tripple)3VX630 9NX1600 v-belts for the countershaft/spindle. Mine is an early 5912 with a the motor pulley on the inside driving the opposite end of the countershaft.

bonus also...v-belt supply has that VSD belt for $35, others are $8...Clausing wanted $250 and $43 respectfully.

Glad to hear that V-Belt Supply worked out for you. I have used them for many belts they have great service and prices.

Back