Replacement Carbide Bits

November X-ray

Active User
Registered
I have a Lowes store near my office and at times I just go there to walk around in air conditioned comfort.

Today while doing that, these happened to catch my eye:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_198008-1687...L=/pl__0__s?Ntt=grout+removal+tool&facetInfo=

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried using these in a cutting tool application? It says they are for a grout scraper, but it also says they are carbide and they look exactly like the carbide bits on some machine tooling, albeit much larger than anything I have.

I guess you could make a holder for them, It is cheap enough to get and use.

Paul

Those are Colbalt instead of Carbide, not sure what the difference is though or even if it matters. Think I'll pick some up and try them out on a project.

Those are Colbalt instead of Carbide, not sure what the difference is though or even if it matters. Think I'll pick some up and try them out on a project.

I think the brand name is Kobalt, but the specs say carbide tips,,,whatever that means.

Those are just triangular carbide inserts in another application. You aren't given the grade, grind, or nose radius, so no telling exactly what they are. Cheap enough to try, though. Appears to be a TNMG series. Let us know if you try them.

Kobalt is a trade name by Lowe's the same as Ryobi for Home Depot. Carbide is a cast metal which has hundreds if not thousands of grades (simple explanation). For home shop use it might be worth a try but if you're doing shop (business) work or repeat work better off with the real thing. Carbide inserts by a machine tool mfg'r.
The cost difference is the obvious indicator here. You get what you pay for.
dickr

Good find. Since I made toolholders for these type of inserts, I may give 'em a try.

John

I happend to be in lowes Sunday. So I took a look at them. Thay are not TNMG much larger.No relife no real cutting edge. Thay look to be casted. there is no ground surface on them .Just a stright hole in the middle.

TNMG is not a size, but a description of the insert style. The come in a variety of IC (Inscribed Circle) sizes. It stands for Triangle, Neutral clearance, M for size tolerance of +/- 0.002 to +/- 0.005 and Ground. The size would be a set of numbers after the TNMG.

As far as a cast appearance, they could be as sintered, and before grinding. It would be cheaper, and probably good enough for grout digging.

i have brazed carbide to o1 and made tools for cutting inside snap ring grooves and such i have even used old teeth off saw blades. braze them on grind to shape. may be good for that 4 bucks i'd try it
steve

Back