• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

Replacement jaws for 3 jaw chuck

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Tobias2017

Swarf
Registered Member
Hello,
I was given an WMC FS-450-AN 8x18 Lathe. The lathe is basically a Taiwanese-made clone of an Emco Compact 8.
The Lathe has a 3 jaw chuck on it, but only has outside jaws with it, the inside jaws are missing. the chuck seems well made, and measures 4 ¼" (110 mm) diameter and has K538 stamped on it. Anyone have ideas on where to find jaws for this? I have contacted little machine shop to see if the ones they have may fit.
Thanks for any help

Attachments

mikey

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
The Emco chucks that I have seen for the Compact 8 have three socket head cap screws near the center, like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSaWLE1ULi9h7hScQXqwS2_DdmrIwG-6PvYp6iiIFWQ6791aAny.jpg

I suspect yours is an aftermarket chuck. If it is Chinese (good chance it is) then good luck finding replacement jaws. It might be better to find a used Emco chuck. These have reversible jaws.

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Check the mounting on your chuck, I suspect it differs from the original compact 8 mounting style. Your best bet and cheapest is probably
a new chinese chuck with both sets of jaws like Shars or similar
Mark

Tobias2017

Swarf
Registered Member
Thank you for the responses. To bad someone misplaced the inside jaws for the chuck, as it seams to be pretty good quality chuck. I will keep my eyes open for a new chuck. For the moment I am working around only having the outside jaws.
I am just starting out, so I don't even know what I don't know yet.

Q169778

Swarf
Registered Member
The Emco chucks that I have seen for the Compact 8 have three socket head cap screws near the center, like this:

View attachment 254765

I suspect yours is an aftermarket chuck. If it is Chinese (good chance it is) then good luck finding replacement jaws. It might be better to find a used Emco chuck. These have reversible jaws.
The chuck shown in your photo is for an Emco Compact 5. The Compact 8 chuck has 3 studs that are only seen from the back that mount to the DIN 55021 spec spindle b

[6]
[5] [7]