Replacement Jaws for Palmgren 4" Milling Vise (9618401)

andrewgr

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
While I wasn't paying sufficient attention, my mill viciously attacked one of the jaws on my Palmgren 4" milling vise (Palmgren # 9618401).

The vise is advertised as having replaceable jaws (which I assume basically every vise has), but I guess I assumed that since it was an advertised feature, that I would just need to order replacement jaws from Palmgren or one of their dealers.

Unfortunately, it does not appear that any such part exists. I can't find it on the Palmgren website, or on Zoro, or MSC Direct, or McMaster-Carr.

I don't have a surface grinder, so I can't make my own that would be any sort of halfway-precise reference surface.

Is there any sort of 'standard' with jaws (like in terms of what screw size they take, the placement of the screw hole, etc.)? What's the general practice when a jaw bites the dust and the manufacturer doesn't sell replacements?

Ouch, did you take a look on Ebay?

Put out a help needed on this site . I'm sure someone who has the capabilities would make you a set . :encourage:

That's what I did for my outside jaw set..
Well worth the time, btw! I made them taller than the inside set, do I can set things on the inside jaws and grab with the outside.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Just to close this out: I heard back from Palmgren. The cost of the replacement jaw plates (they come in a pair) is $159. That's for two pieces of precision ground steel, each one 4" x 1.75" x 5/8", with two screw holes.

The entire vise itself cost me $187 with free delivery from Zoro.

I guess it's caveat emptor, when I saw "replaceable jaw plates", I assumed that meant they would be significantly less than buying an entirely new vise. Bad assumption on my part. I don't begrudge them charging what they feel is the best price, and I don't believe they're doing anything wrong, but I can't help but feeling as if there's something a bit unjust about this.

If anyone has a pointer to where I could buy precision ground flat stock, I'd appreciate it. I've found stuff that might be right, but I'm unsure if the stock is flat enough to work as a precision surface when I'm aiming for tolerances measuring in thousands of an inch.

McMaster-Carr is my go to for things like this, certified materials delivered to my door in record time.

John

You can buy a pair of standard 4" jaws for $25, if needed you could tap two holes for mounting. These are 2" tall so may be a bit nicer to have, otherwise mount them and mill them down to whatever size you want. I am sure if you contact them they could make a pair if you wanted other dimensions. The vise is not going to give you 0.001" precision no matter what jaws you put into it, otherwise consider a higher accuracy vise. I just made a set of tall jaws for my vise out of CR 1018, and just leveled the tops so they match with my face mill. The precision ground A2 or 01 steel from McMaster's is also an option, they sell 5/8"x2"x18" stock that will probably run you around $80-90 with shipping.

Back