Replacement Logan cross feed dial (big snough for old eyes)

M

Mister Ed

Forum Guest
Register Today
Ok, after life getting in the way for the last 6 months I am finally back on the kick to redo the cross feed dials on the 210. Well there certainly is a lot of 'buzz' on this subject since MrPete's video series. However, I really want to go with 200 graduations and a large (3") dial ... without loosing working capacity. So, really I want to recreate the Stelling set up, or very similar. Most of the external dimensions of the Stelling are available (I think even reposted here someplace). But I have a few questions if there is anyone that is familiar with them.
  • Did stelling dials use the original cross slide screw?
  • What did the internals look like? Bushings, thrust bearings, ets?
  • Was the graduated ring adjustable (zero-able)? Or was it solid with the rest of the movable dial?
Like I said, still in the planning stages (again) ... and I am not that good at planning these type things out, LOL.

Anything like this? I've seen this dial on Logans but I don't recall who made it. I probably had it apart 20 years ago when I restored the lathe but I don't recall any details. The dial doesn't appear to be zeroable.

logan1.jpg Logan2.jpg

Alan - That is interesting, is that on a Logan? If not, is it aftermarket? Does it impact the usable area of the cross slide?

This is a pic from Ryan @ thepitching machine.com. He has a post on his site to use his pics freely.
012_StellingDial.jpg

There are more pics of this same dial here (on this site):
Stelling Dial Measurements

012_StellingDial.jpg

Yes the cross slide does run into it eventually. The dial is 3 3/4" diameter and is on a Logan 955. I've seen photos of others so I know it was a standard accessory from someone.

OK, Clueless wanted to see updates on my plans. Here is where I am currently working on. It is a cross between what I know of a Stelling dial, Bob Neidorff's '09 article in Home Shop Machinist, and my own tweaks.
(dimensions left off for clarity).
Dials.JPG
I may change that slope on the outer, stationary ring. Thrust bearing goes in the recessed section of the rotating side (between the two parts) and provides a slight clearance between the two.

And both pieces together:
Outer zero-able dial (partly cut away) is shown along with the two parts above.
Dials2.JPG
3" zero-able dial, uses original cross feed screw, does not limit cross feed travel. I will also look at installing a thrust bearing inside the cross slide, between the gear and the bushing that the screw goes through. The two bearings should help me get most of the non-thread related slop out. I am also toying with the idea of putting a small ball bearing in the left side of the "extension tube", to help support the crossfeed screw ... just to prevent any flexing.

Dials.JPG Dials2.JPG

Alan - I think I found the patent on your dials.
US2694998-0.png

US2694998-0.png

Hey Ed;

Quite a project. Ambitious from my exceptionally limited perspective. I'll be interested to see what you come up with!

That would be one heck of an upgrade for the 210. I could go for that on mine for sure.

_Dan

Thanks for finding the patent. It looks identical.
There is a second page with drawings as well. It looks like some of them had (at lease as an option) some type of adjustable stop mechanism as well. Teh patten number is that 2,xxx,xxx number in the upper right corner. I was looking at pictures in google an djust stumbled onto it.

Hey Ed;

Quite a project. Ambitious from my exceptionally limited perspective. I'll be interested to see what you come up with!
HA ... I kept waiting for one of you other guys to show me step by step pics!! I hope it is not above my experience level. I am not a machinist ... but I sure can make metal into smaller pieces.

Looking at things last night, I may actually use one of the SherLine graduated dials and modify it for the zero-able ring ... I like that black finish with the silver lines. Worth a shot for $30. I will have to tweak the drawings a bit ... that will make the dial size 3.25".:whistle:

Metal is ordered and on its way ... did not have enough that big.

Back