Replacement Milling Machine

Patrick

Registered
Registered
Hi Guys and Gals, I have been using a Rong Fu table mill for the past 28 years with excellent service for what I do. I have used it for making front end parts for the two street rods I built and a few small stationary steam engines. Now I building a 3/4" scale live steam locomotive and decided I needed just a little better accuracy to get the results I'm looking for. So I decided on a new JET milling machine rather than a used Bridgeport or Tree mill. I have not been impressed with the used equipment that I have looked at and can't afford a new Bridgeport or Tree. After several months of looking I started leaning towards a new import. Looked at many import machines and the cost verses quality led me towards a Jet machine. It is an 8x36 variable speed, single phase machine and have had this machine now for two months and am very happy with the quality and tolerance's that I am getting from an import. The one time I called the vendor had excellent response and customer service. It may not be the best machine manufactured but for a home shop with the type of hobby work I do, it worked out great.

Regards

P1020126.JPG

That's a nice machine. I'd be proud to have it in my shop.

Congrats on your machine. One thing though, I don't think that's a JET but rather a Precision Matthews. I have pictures of the machine from my trip to PM in January. That is the Chinese version of the 935 model we currently sell. We stopped carrying the 836 because, 935 is a Taiwanese machine and not that more expensive -so nobody was placing orders for the 836. It's a very good machine in it's class though and about the same comparison as the 1236 is to the 1340.

Ray

Congrats on your machine. One thing though, I don't think that's a JET but rather a Precision Matthews. I have pictures of the machine from my trip to PM in January. That is the Chinese version of the 935 model we currently sell. We stopped carrying the 836 because, 935 is a Taiwanese machine and not that more expensive -so nobody was placing orders for the 836. It's a very good machine in it's class though and about the same comparison as the 1236 is to the 1340.

Ray

Your right Ray, it is actually a PM machine, I contacted the vendor and was told it was identical to the JET JV836 and shared the same part numbers and if I wasn't satisfied with it I had 90 days to return it no questions asked. I guess I am not to concerned as long as the machine performs to my expectations and I can get replacement parts if needed. So far it's been an excellent machine and performs as well as the equipment at work.

Yup, nice upgrade Patrick.

Your right Ray, it is actually a PM machine, I contacted the vendor and was told it was identical to the JET JV836 and shared the same part numbers and if I wasn't satisfied with it I had 90 days to return it no questions asked. I guess I am not to concerned as long as the machine performs to my expectations and I can get replacement parts if needed. So far it's been an excellent machine and performs as well as the equipment at work.

Yep. It's one of ours... I checked. It's 90% the same as a Jet with slightly different peripheral pieces. The major components are the same but we had variable speed put on that machine thinking it would be a real hot seller. I think we have a few still in stock because everyone who wants a knee mill is looking for the fit & finish of the Taiwanese units. Good machines but they're not popular for some reason. We try to offer different things -and sometimes it's a success and sometimes not.

You'll love it though -perfectly good machine.

Ray

Any shop that clean is a sure sign if a very sick mind
Is that your shop or your dentist's office ?????

It's Beautiful
joebiplane

Well Joe, I worked in an Experimental Machine Development shop for many years build one up machines for a major manufacturer. The Boss made it clear that if you used a machine, you clean it, don't leave your mess for the next guy. I guess it stuck with me cause each day when I get done in my shop, I sweep up all the chips and wipe down the equipment. Makes it easy to go back in the next day and start again.
Now, I am open to doing some dental work, just can't find anyone who trusts me enough to give me a chance even when I tell them my rates are very reasonable.

O-well, guess I'll stick to working on my hobbies

Best Regards
Pat

Well Joe, I worked in an Experimental Machine Development shop for many years build one up machines for a major manufacturer. The Boss made it clear that if you used a machine, you clean it, don't leave your mess for the next guy. I guess it stuck with me cause each day when I get done in my shop, I sweep up all the chips and wipe down the equipment. Makes it easy to go back in the next day and start again.
Now, I am open to doing some dental work, just can't find anyone who trusts me enough to give me a chance even when I tell them my rates are very reasonable.

O-well, guess I'll stick to working on my hobbies

Best Regards
Pat

Good answer. I got a chuckle.

Back