Replacement Y axis hand wheel grip

MyLilMule

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
The Y axis handwheel on my K&T 2HL is missing the grip. I don't expect to find an OEM replacement, but would like to find something the at least has a similar appearance to the others on the machine. The hole is ~5/16". The handle on the Z axis crank is about 2.75" long. I suspect that the Y axis would be the same size.

I looked on McMaster and couldn't find anything that was similar. Doesn't have to be exact, just close enough. I ordered a couple of pieces from Amazon, but I don't expect to be very happy with them, but I'd like to see them first. They are both threaded, whereas the hand wheel is not.

Any thoughts on where I could find something that's at least close if not indistinguishable from the others?

IMG_9344.jpeg

For reference:

IMG_9343.jpeg

Definitely an option. The first one is closer to the size I want. The second at 4" is quite a bit longer. But even for the first I would have to drill and plug the wheel for the 5/16-18 thread. Not a big deal. Definitely keep that one on the list if something else doesn't come up.

Thank you!

My handwheel was metric (10mm I think).
I just ran a 5/16" tap through it and put it in with loctite.
Worked great.

This machine is 80 years old. Was metric even invented then? (that's a joke).

I don't mind milling out a larger hole and press fitting a new plug with a metric threaded hole in it. The ones I ordered from Amazon are metric. I was either going to turn off the threads or make the plug. But I am guessing I won't like them and will end up sending them back or putting them in the parts bin for something else.

Try Carr - Lane.
They have one that I think might be pretty close. Someone on another forum suggested ELCO. Both have products that are really close. Close enough for me, anyway.

In an hour or so one could freehand one on the lathe or even on a mill and it would be the same as the old one.
I like to use a 4.5 inch angle grinder with a fine flap wheel to take out the machining marks and then buff it out.
A piece of hot roll rod would be my choice out of the scrap pile.

In an hour or so one could freehand one on the lathe or even on a mill and it would be the same as the old one.
I like to use a 4.5 inch angle grinder with a fine flap wheel to take out the machining marks and then buff it out.
A piece of hot roll rod would be my choice out of the scrap pile.
And make it roll and not fixed? Please, tell me how to do that in an hour. I have enough side projects. Don't want another one. Why is that so hard to get through? LOL!!!!

If you want one that rides on a small piece of rod, you would have to drill a hole in it(about 5/16 inch diameter is about right)
and several inches deep before machining the shape which is just a simple process using x and y axis to carve out the desired
shape. One can hold the handle to the rod(grooved) with a set screw or I have used a small plastic cylinder affixed to the end
of the rod that has a tight sliding fit into the handle. The drilling and machining is best done in one set up for concentricity.
I put a dab of grease in the hole before assembly.

Back