Replacement Y axis hand wheel grip

If you want one that rides on a small piece of rod, you would have to drill a hole in it(about 5/16 inch diameter is about right)
and several inches deep before machining the shape which is just a simple process using x and y axis to carve out the desired
shape. One can hold the handle to the rod(grooved) with a set screw or I have used a small plastic cylinder affixed to the end
of the rod that has a tight sliding fit into the handle. The drilling and machining is best done in one set up for concentricity.
I put a dab of grease in the hole before assembly.

have enough side projects. Don't want another one. Why is that so hard to get through? LOL!!!!

You need to look at it differently I think. I get a degree of satisfaction from building stuff in the shop and look
forward to new projects and problems. Maybe you are like the Rolling Stones and can't get no satisfaction.;)

The Y axis handwheel on my K&T 2HL is missing the grip. I don't expect to find an OEM replacement, but would like to find something the at least has a similar appearance to the others on the machine. The hole is ~5/16". The handle on the Z axis crank is about 2.75" long. I suspect that the Y axis would be the same size.
You might consider one of these - saves some nut-busting.

IMG_3638.jpeg
Here is a link to those folding handles if anyone is interested.

https://www.carrlane.com/product/ha...-revolving-handles-thermoplastic/cl-400-frh-s

Here's the handle I ended up using. It's from ELCO. Photo is next to the Z crank from comparison. It's smaller than the original I suspect (not as small as this photo makes it look, maybe 1/2" or 3/4" shorter. It was only $16 (but I didn't realize until after it shipped I was charged $17 for shipping. Ooof). It's close enough that it works for me and doesn't feel awkward using it.

IMG_9400.jpeg

Back