Replacing a rack from a grill. What would you recommend?

Iron Filing

Registered
Registered
Hello,
I curb-shopped and got an own an outdoor grill. It works, but when I was cleaning it I noticed that it's stainless steel rack rods had cracks and sharp edges all over them. I was uncertain why SS would peal like that and I decided to shave off the sharp edges. Well it didn't go as planned. Underneath the SS rods appears to be plain steel or maybe iron. I'll post some photos so you can see.
DSCF1709a.jpgDSCF1714a.jpgDSCF1716a.jpgDSCF1718a.jpg
There's also some cross sectional shots for you to enjoy. The SS rods have SS tips, which are just tiny pieces of rods, likely inserted in some fashion (seen still inserted in the last photo.)

I decided to discard the old racks and I wish to install new ones. Of course, I'm planning on using SS. My question is, what would be a cost effective solution? A rod, a pre-made grill, like this one? Do you have a favorite online shop that sells such stuff at reasonable prices? I have been using zoro, which is better than ebay, but for a 6ft 304 3/8 rod they want >$22. Which is a bit steep IMHO.

Thanks!

PS: The nearest place where I could buy metal is a 3 hour trip just one way, and that's assuming moderate traffic. So traveling to buy metal is a whole day trip for me.

Replacements are sold for most grills .

I will say this. I got replacement grills from this company for my old grill, and they were fantastic. Stopped flareups overnight. They are great, and worth the investment.

Hear me out. First, you're going to need to buy a new TIG welder... ;-) Good sight is imperative, so an Optrel helmet only makes sense. Then perhaps some classes (if necessary) or at least some stainless to practice on. Cutting that rod can be a chore, you might consider a good coolant-flooded cold-saw. It's important that your grill be flat, so a reasonable quality welding table is justified. Of course you'll need clamps and things for your welding table, and I definitely recommend some large cast-iron squares. Now if your grill is round you're also going to need a hoop-roller. With the right tools you can kick back and enjoy the beverage of your choice, knowing that you saved money by doing it yourself!

Delete this line, and show the rest to your wife...

GsT

Hear me out. First, you're going to need to buy a new TIG welder... ;-) Good sight is imperative, so an Optrel helmet only makes sense. Then perhaps some classes (if necessary) or at least some stainless to practice on. Cutting that rod can be a chore, you might consider a good coolant-flooded cold-saw. It's important that your grill be flat, so a reasonable quality welding table is justified. Of course you'll need clamps and things for your welding table, and I definitely recommend some large cast-iron squares. Now if your grill is round you're also going to need a hoop-roller. With the right tools you can kick back and enjoy the beverage of your choice, knowing that you saved money by doing it yourself!
:grin: Don't we all do this ? :grin:

Replacements are sold for most grills .
I failed to mention this in the original post, but I spoke to the grill owner before I picked it up. The grill was only a few years old and hardly used according to him. I wanted a solution that would last.

My grill came with so called SS grates. To my surprise they are SS clad steel rods. Same as what you are showing. A little deceptive in advertising.
I managed to pick up some solid 316L SS 1/2 rod and remade the entire grate. Haven't looked back since. SS rod my be hard to obatian so go with replacement cast iron.

My grill came with so called SS grates. To my surprise they are SS clad steel rods. Same as what you are showing. A little deceptive in advertising.
I managed to pick up some solid 316L SS 1/2 rod and remade the entire grate. Haven't looked back since. SS rod my be hard to obtain so go with replacement cast iron.
I live in Florida. The humidity would rust those away very quickly.
It's an outdoor grill. It kinda has to be an outdoor grill. No more room inside.

Back