Replacing bearings in motor

Investigator

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My B'port clone has just been setting, waiting for my shop to get done. However, I just couldn't wait, so I pulled the motor to at least get started. The bearings are pretty rough. I was able to get the motor apart and got the numbers from the bearings. My only question is Do I need any special type of bearing? or are standard bearings ok?

the bearings I have are a 6205z and a 6204z. If I understand that is a bearing with a single seal on one side. Is there anyu advantage to a double sealed bearing? Or just replace with exactly what was there?

The only difference might be if there is a means of greasing the bearing in place, then, one seal would have to be left off, for hobby use, maybe to have double seals to retain lube and keep crud out, my rationale being that there is not so much use to require re greasing.

The "Z" or "ZZ" suffix is a shielded bearing, which can be greased. A sealed bearing commonly has a "2RS" suffix.

Off the top of my head I want to use a bearing with 2 seals. Any reason not to?
These were very dirty, Spraying some penetrating oil seemed to clean out some crud, wouldnt double seals keep them cleaner?

thinking out loud, let me ask this: what difference is there between a 6205z and a 6205-2rs, besides the obvious difference in seals? are they for different applications? which is better for an electric motor?

What rpm is your motor? On rare occasions, I've seen sealed bearings generate unwanted heat on 3450 rpm motors.
But don't mistake shielded for sealed.

I dont know
What rpm is your motor? On rare occasions, I've seen sealed bearings generate unwanted heat on 3450 rpm motors.
But don't mistake shielded for sealed.

I dont know, the motor plate is totally unreadable. I know its 3 phase, it is on a Bridgeport clone step pully head

Back