Replacing bridgeport series 1 feed nuts for X and Y axis leadscrews

"become tight as soon as nearly all the threads are engaged on the nuts. "

Define "tight". With all the threads engaged, I would think that the pitch is correct. And, you WANT it to be tight. More so on the ends, because it is guaranteed to be worn in the center. And, there is going to be some significant wear in the first ours of use, just to the surface finish.
I would be upset if it slipped on easily. I'd want it to be necessary to use mechanical assistance (pliers under a rag?) to get it to the center (worn) portions of the leadscrew.
Tight as in, its seized as soon as it hits a certain point in the beginning.

I'm just the stunt man for that YT channel. ;)

So, to play devil's advocate, how much did you spend on the mill and what percentage of that is $140? Rhetorical question, to make a point. $140 is nothing compared to what the mill is worth and also what the $140 gets you. My advice to you would be not to scrimp on some things for it. You'll regret it (as it sounds like you might be already).
Haha nice. The mill was 2200, not including the near $2k in tooling. Might as well have gotten the lathe for free. Ill post later. Its a series 1, ive watched your videos on it, when i have time ill paint it but at the moment theres no time for that unfortunately. It has chromed ways so my wanting to scrape it will have to wait for now.

And yep, i do regret cheaping out

Is that 30 thou slop pushing back and forth or backlash on the dial? Are you original nuts split or still in one piece? Splitting them might fix you up for free!
30 thou pushing saddle back and forth. I pulled out the y axis leadscrew and feednut and theres play in the threads. The nut must be the issue *fingers crossed*. If not ill need to replace the leadscrew as well. I hope not.

It was a mechanics lathe, so he used to it rebuild motors it seems.

Scraping chrome ways - not something I would want to try. Especially since you can't scrape them. A friend of mine has "scraped" them, but he used a zip disc on an angle grinder! LOL!

Would you happen to have any more info on how he did that? I have 80yr old hardened ways. I've been thinking about how an angle grinder would work. I think you'd use the same bluing technique, and then just touch the high spots with the grinder.

Would you happen to have any more info on how he did that? I have 80yr old hardened ways. I've been thinking about how an angle grinder would work. I think you'd use the same bluing technique, and then just touch the high spots with the grinder.
I don't even want to speculate.

Back