Replacing Drive Belt on PM-1054V

I really don’t recall this job as that difficult, not to deny that it could be. I had to replace a couple of plastic bushings in the Reeves drive, using a kit from H&W, which was very well done and included a special tool. Part ot the repair involved removing the belt to get at the other stuff. I had the Bridgeport repair manual and followed it exactly. They showed to remove three screws from the housing somewhere and use two of them to compress the spring. A big point made in the manual was to run the speed control to one end or the other, forget which, but obviously to widen the pulley as much as possible. Then as I recall, the motor was tipped up and positioned forward a bit, so you could slip the belt on to both pulleys. I think without the manual, it would take a guru like you found to do it successfully.

I wonder if by bushings you are referring to the (either brass or teflon) bushings which take up the .040” or so slack between the motor shaft and the bottom rear pulley.

Without compressing that spring, this task would probably be impossible. Like I said, I used 2 quantity 35mm long M6 bolts which I happened to have lying from a bike repair from a few years ago. Next time I get out in the shop, I will report the thread pitch of the M6 bolts in this thread.

****IMPORTANT****
I am glad you mentioned “the motor was tipped up and positioned forward a bit”. This is the position that gets you the most room for slipping on the belt! I believe this to be a two person job, with one guy supporting and positioning the motor, and the other guy rotating the bottom rear pulley to get the belt on.

Hopefully everybody knows that to get a tightly fitting belt on a pulley you get it on a lip of the pulley, and then rotate the pulley using a lot of strength. This would be a good time to have dry (as opposed to oily) hands, and you definitely wouldn’t want to skip your Wheaties that morning.

Last edited:
Maybe. I forget the details, but the bushings or whatever were very thin, could well have been teflon, I suppose, that had to be glued with an adhesive supplied with the kit. Took 24 hour set up time. Sorry to start something and not be able to finish it, but you got it done!

Back