Replacing headstock casting 383-020 with 383-017 on Mk2 6" Atlas

TommA

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I need advice on a replacement project on an Atlas 6" Mk2 with timken bearings. The newer and lightweight headstock casting used on the lathe (383-020) got busted in transport and the idler pulley arm snapped off. I found a replacement, PN 383-017 casting to rebuild with but it has differences:
1. It is very heavy and has larger spindle bearing holes. I like the heavy part and I was able to source the matching Timken bearings, 7100-7204 to replace the smaller bearings, 7100-7196, used in the original casting. However, I am not able to locate the press in bearing dust covers in the 2.04" OD size. Does anyone know where I can get these?
2. The original casting had an oiler hole and oiler fitting which does not exist on the older casting. It seems a good item to have and I am thinking of drilling an oiler fitting hole and reusing the original fitting in the older replacement casting. Any advice there?
3. Am I missing something?

Call Clausing to see if they have the parts you need. I have a 10200 metric MK2 6" lathe. Clausing had some, but not all of the parts that I wanted to replace on my metric version...

Back