Replacing the Taig mill's square tube frame?

StudioMachinist

Registered
Registered
I'm considering purchasing a Taig mill in the near future but one of the biggest turn-offs is the rotating Z hollow square tube frame. Looking at the exploded view, it appears you might be able to just bolt it onto something L shaped? Off hand I was thinking fixing two granite surface plates perpendicular to each other. I've also seen some bracing/turn buckles used to add rigidity to the Z. Has anyone tried filling the column with concrete (like Taig does it's lathe) or just tacking the where the column swivels on the base?

If you beef it up in one area you'll discover weaknesses in others
Maybe consider a heftier machine instead? Just sayin', since you haven't bought it yet and you're already planning on modding it
I realize you may be short on space
-Mark

I'm considering purchasing a Taig mill in the near future but one of the biggest turn-offs is the rotating Z hollow square tube frame. Looking at the exploded view, it appears you might be able to just bolt it onto something L shaped? Off hand I was thinking fixing two granite surface plates perpendicular to each other. I've also seen some bracing/turn buckles used to add rigidity to the Z. Has anyone tried filling the column with concrete (like Taig does it's lathe) or just tacking the where the column swivels on the base?

I would avoid permanently fixing the column to the base via welding. I may be wrong but I believe that area may be used to adjust squareness when tramming the mill.

If you are attempting to create more rigidity then you may want to consider a beefier machine. Filling with concrete or re-enforcing with granite slabs may dampen vibration and improve surface finish but will not give the machine any more power or capability.

Edit: spelling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. I understand eliminating one weakness just reveals another, but that assumes every weakness is equal to the other in the machine. Obviously the machine is stout for what it is but I love to overbuild/modify just for the sake of doing it.

I am also considering a heavier lathe like an LMS but after owning an HF lathe I'm a bit turned off by the quality and like buying American. Check craigslist daily too (shame it's practically dead these days).

I know this is an older thread but thought I'd chime in. The taig is a great little mill and is an incredible value. I'm going to be modding my taig frame in the not to distant future as it is one of the weak points and plan on doing steel tubing filled with epoxy/granite. You will also want to upgrade the spindle motor as the 1/4HP just isn't enough.

That being said, it's always important to balance reality with expectations. If you're planning on hogging out stainless steel then look elsewhere. But if you want to do a lot of aluminum and if you have a lot of free time, steel, then the Taig is a great little mill.

I am also considering a heavier lathe like an LMS but after owning an HF lathe I'm a bit turned off by the quality and like buying American. Check craigslist daily too (shame it's practically dead these days)In the first place, finding an American made machine today would mean a used machine at best. I don't think there are any made here anymore.
Late as usual, that's me. I just stumbled into the thread today.

In the first place, going American almost guarantees a used machine. I honestly don't think anyone here is building lathes these days. Certainly not smaller machines. Chinese should be avoided if possible, Taiwan or Japan build good machines.

Second, comparing Horrible Fright machines to anything serious, well you should do a lot more research first. HF machines are the "left overs" that get passed up by every one else, including the Chinese machines.

There are good small machines made in Europe, but they tend to be horrendously expensive. I would say to look to Little Machine Shop for a usable machine. Comparing them to HF would be like comparing a diamond to a piece of glass.

Taig is made in Arizona. The quality is excellent. The prices reasonable in my opinion. But, I wouldn’t recommend a Taig if you plan on trying to do heavy work. I think of my Taig as a machine for my very precise work.
I really like the Taig but am planning on doing some modifications as I wanted the mill to do precision milling and drilling. I bought a used one that doesn’t have the ER16 spindle so that’s what I’m working on.
Anyway, they are nice quality machines.

Back