Repurposed someone's new years resolution.

It looks great, nice work! Yes, some before and during pictures would be great, if you have any please post. Also curious as to how it machined, I've heard barbell weights can be tricky, hard spots, etc.

What's the RPM limit on that guy? I love the idea, love the look. I also love the iron-y. But are gym weights not in the same category of material grade as window sash weights or ballast? I don't think that's vacuum cast eutectic like your Cummins engine block. It looks like the surface is pretty free of voids, but I'd keep that baby running slow, especially when loaded. Judging by the quality of work, I'm sure you already know that, though.

That turned out great! I've often been told that barbell weights tend to be garbage cast-iron with tons of hard spots/inclusions/etc as well, so I've always been afraid of putting them in my tools :)

Yes, someone’s old barbell set. I’ve heard the tales about machining old cast stuff as well but it machined great so that’s either over hyped ... or I got lucky. I spun it up to max rpm and no vibration so should be fine. It's more likely that whatever part and fasteners you’re required to machine this with is going to cause the vibration more than the plate and if you need high speed to machine something using this type of plate then you probably need to go find someone with a bigger lathe. These are the only other pics I have sorry.

IMG_0204sm.jpg IMG_0199sm.jpg

That's awesome, had this on my mind for awhile!

What a great idea. I have a York Olympic set that I no longer use that should do the trick. Been meaning to put them to some kind of use for years. Mike

Back