Request help in finding, making or adapting a sturdy bench/table for a Model 9 A SB Lathe

cayuse

Registered
Registered
Any suggestions for a bench/table to mount a SB 9A lathe? Plans or suggestions where I might find a sturdy mounting platform would be greatly appreciated.

C

Use a solid core wood door blank for the top. Wherever the lathe feet and countershaft sit put a piece of sheet metal. This will prevent the lathe from digging in when you mount it with the bolts. For the legs use 4x4s made into squares. Mount one on each end and one in middle. Connect them horizontally with 2x4s and that will stiffen the whole thing up and make it solid. You can encase the outside with plywood to enclose it and build shelves, cabinets, or drawers underneath.

I built a modified version of this which came from an old Popular Mechanics (I think):
Lathe Stand Drawing.jpg

Lathe Stand Drawing.jpg

IMG_20140525_132414.jpg

How about one of these cabinets? I have a spare (not the one in the picture) with the drawers and everything. ...Was for a heavy 10. with a 3 foot bed.

IMG_20140525_132414.jpg

This is what I did with my Myford and it made a nice solid stand, I purchased a roller cabinet removed the drawers and added hardwood frames to the sides to give something to fasten plywood to, the hardwood is fastened to the sides by drilling the cabinet and bolting hardwood to it, then used 3/4 ply to build the caps/ends, it's very sturdy and I have ample storage, I'll do a bit of a sketch if you want to show how I did it and kept it ridged.

attachment.php

attachment.php

This is what I did with my Myford and it made a nice solid stand, I purchased a roller cabinet removed the drawers and added hardwood frames to the sides to give something to fasten plywood to, the hardwood is fastened to the sides by drilling the cabinet and bolting hardwood to it, then used 3/4 ply to build the caps/ends, it's very sturdy and I have ample storage, I'll do a bit of a sketch if you want to show how I did it and kept it ridged.

attachment.php

attachment.php

That's awesome!

That's awesome!
Thank you... I was going to weld one up but I detest building drawers, that picture was taken recently, I've had that lathe for 30 years and it used almost daily, I'm somewhat anal about keeping my tools clean...!:))

I like the metal one I have that came with the lathe and added some drawers to it for extra weight and rigid up the unit. They do sell them, but you can make it if you have the right tools. I hear the wood absorbs moisture and could change the level or twist of the bed. If you use wood do check the level or twist when weather changes to make sure it did not move. My opion of course on this madder, but some people will agree with me, but have no first hand knowledge on the madder just what I hear.
Paul

SB LATHE.jpg HPIM0604.JPG

Back