Requesting advice on motor/pulley setup for Sears 109 21270

Deepcover

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I was recently gifted a model 10921270. there is no motor or counter shaft, but everything seems to move freely with no obvious slop... will need to check runout, ways, etc. but really need advice on what to power it with. Is a DC treadmill motor with variable speed control and a single pulley a good idea? or is an AC motor with step pulley better? Do any of these little fellers use a countershaft/belt assembly? I am new to the group and will keep looking at the threads and Q&As but need to get pointed in the right direction. I look forward to gleaning any and all info on this machine and bringing it back to it's former small and light duty glory. Thank you all in advance.

I believe those lathes did not use a countershaft, just a single belt from motor to headstock. Since the spindle is only 1/2" and easy to bend I would keep the motor under 1/4 horsepower. Treadmill motors are usually larger and have a serpentine pulley which would need to change.
Something like a sewing machine motor might be more appropriate- there are several styles on Ebay in the range of about 1/6 HP
-Mark
ps at one time there was a 5/8" or 3/4" spindle upgrade available- you might want to investigate that

Last edited:
109's have a big following , they are cool little machines . Welcome to the group , I'm a Craftsman 6" 101.07031 user . I know a little about the 109 , first the 109 didn't come with a counter shaft . For the motor Dunlap did make a motor or at least they put their name on one 1/3 hp should be enough . If it were me I would go the AC step pully . Lots of people go the tread mill route , but I wouldn't .
Mark .

I used a junk appliance motor. 1725 rpm and 1/4 horsepower. No countershaft. The cheapo hinged board works fine. Keep the tension low so that the belt will slip at the slightest resistance. The whole setup is kind of loose, and if the tool digs in, especially when turning a large item, it can bend the skinny 1/2" spindle. I have turned 4" steel round on mine without bending the spindle by letting the hinged board flap free. No weights or clamps putting extra tension on it, or else.

Thank you all. I know I have a fairly large sewing machine motor in the parts crypt...Will have to check the HP and pulley setup. Think it might even have a resister type variable speed control as well. If not , a low hp 1725 will be easy to find. Did not realize the spindle is only 1/2" dia., as I have not removed the 4 jaw that was on it. It is sitting down cellar with a generous coating of silikroil as I write this. I have a lot to learn about this little gem, but thank you for the input! Have a great memorial Day weekend all.

The 109 says 6" but it is really a 2" capacity lathe. It is good for plastics and non-ferrous materials.

Yeah, it does seem that even "light duty" is a bit of a stretch. But.....It is beautiful little piece of machinery. Maybe I will sink a bunch of cash into it and be able to turn a brass shear pin for my trolling motor!

For turning small parts they are great, the headstock is the weak point as far as capacity

....... I'm a Craftsman 6" 101.07031 user ........
Mark .

Mark,

I am not aware of a 109.07031 model. Can you post a photo of the model tag?

Thanks!

EDIT! My bad Mark. I did not see the 101. IIRC the 101.07031 is Atlas 6" lathe, correct?

Last edited:
Back