Restoring Craftsman 101.07403 lathe- The good, bad and ugly.

Good morning all. I have started to take my lathe apart and have not been able to brake the chuck free. Any thoughts on how to break it free?

Lock the spindle. Then, clamp a bar (lever) in the chuck 90 degrees to the spindle and pull.

With regard to part numbers for parts used on for Atlas and Atlas-built Craftsman or any other machines made by Atlas,, a given part will only have one base part part number generally matching the machine on which it was first used. Revisions are indicated by suffix letters, beginning with A. In most cases, the revised part will replace any earlier part, although in a few cases, using the revised part requires replacing or modifying one or more other parts. at the same time. Anyway, in general forget about looking for the same part under a different base number. This holds true even if the other machine is for example a shaper or drill press.

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I’m new to the forum and need some help. I recently purchased a Craftsman 101.07403 12x36 lathe with a QCGB (101.20140). The serial number stamped on the bed is 29108. From the sellers pictures a saw that it was dirty, and it had a broken feed screw bearing. I suspected that the split nut would need to be replaced.
View attachment 466912

In looking it over the head stock I found the gears were dirty but in good shape, no broken teeth. Did not feel any end play movement. The quick-change gear box was also dirty, but in good shape. The chuck was in working order. The bed was dirty and looked like it had dried old oil on it. The carriage was sticky but would move on the bed. The cross slide and compound both moved with ease. Tail stock would slide on the bed, and spin with a little effort. The feed shaft was even and did not look to have any wear spots on it. The motor did run (was in neutral because of broken feed screw bearing). I purchased it for $375 which at the time I thought was a god deal, he was asking $500.

The good: all the gears appear to be in good shape with no broken teeth. The bad: it dirty and needs a good, detailed cleaning (winter project) along with replacement of the feed screw bearing.
View attachment 466913
View attachment 466914

Now for the ugly: I took the apron off of the carriage (I think that the correct term) and found a lot of broken, missing parts. Everything from broken splint-nut guild, missing mitre gear and bushing, broken bearing, and that’s not all. The traverse gear box is broken and one of the gears is missing a tooth.
View attachment 466915

I’m looking for input (good or bad). Is this a lost cause or are parts out there to be found? Is there a way to cross reference parts with other makes (Atlas) and models? Any help would be appreciated.
Chris
Welcome Chris.
You didn't get hurt a bit on the price and you'll know it inside and out when you're done.
Nice score and nice project.

I have the same lathe, except shorter. I took mine almost completely apart, cleaned it and got it running again. You got a good deal, too, especially with the QCGB. Clausing bought Atlas and they still make parts for this lathe! I think you have to ask for someone who knows older machines when you call them. Ebay also has lots of parts. Mymachineshop.net also has parts. Download the parts diagram and use that to order parts. I bought 2 other parts lathes to get all the pieces I wanted and was able to sell the rest of them for way more than I paid. I also learned the machine inside and out by taking everything apart.

Mine was painted by a previous owner a color I like to call "Disco Pearl Green". I think it was dark gray originally. I was able to get automotive paint that matched well enough and sprayed the rest of the parts the same color so everything matched. I couldn't find a rattle can color that was even close.

Have fun! I'm happy to answer any questions.

The name of the rattle-can color closest to the original pre-WW-2 color is Machinery Gray.

Hello everyone. I’m new to the forum and need some help. I recently purchased a Craftsman 101.07403 12x36 lathe with a QCGB (101.20140). The serial number stamped on the bed is 29108. From the sellers pictures a saw that it was dirty, and it had a broken feed screw bearing. I suspected that the split nut would need to be replaced.
View attachment 466912

In looking it over the head stock I found the gears were dirty but in good shape, no broken teeth. Did not feel any end play movement. The quick-change gear box was also dirty, but in good shape. The chuck was in working order. The bed was dirty and looked like it had dried old oil on it. The carriage was sticky but would move on the bed. The cross slide and compound both moved with ease. Tail stock would slide on the bed, and spin with a little effort. The feed shaft was even and did not look to have any wear spots on it. The motor did run (was in neutral because of broken feed screw bearing). I purchased it for $375 which at the time I thought was a god deal, he was asking $500.

The good: all the gears appear to be in good shape with no broken teeth. The bad: it dirty and needs a good, detailed cleaning (winter project) along with replacement of the feed screw bearing.
View attachment 466913
View attachment 466914

Now for the ugly: I took the apron off of the carriage (I think that the correct term) and found a lot of broken, missing parts. Everything from broken splint-nut guild, missing mitre gear and bushing, broken bearing, and that’s not all. The traverse gear box is broken and one of the gears is missing a tooth.
View attachment 466915

I’m looking for input (good or bad). Is this a lost cause or are parts out there to be found? Is there a way to cross reference parts with other makes (Atlas) and models? Any help would be appreciated.
Chris
You didn't happen to buy this from a guy on JG did you?

Those broken pieces and the repair look very familiar.

Took headstock apart and cleaned. All the bearings and bushing look good. I have attached a pic of the date on the bearing. The lathe serial number is 29108. the date on bearing race is 5-23-51
pic 20  Date  3.23.51.jpg
Once aging thank you for all the discussion.

Back