Resusitating Some Chinese Iron

I actually prefer to ship usps cause ups is insane expensive, I shipped a granite surface plate flat rate from standridge, only problem with usps is the weight limit and box size.
I'll have to check with the post office about shipping the ink if they are gonna make a stink about it.

.............I'll have to check with the post office about shipping the ink if they are gonna make a stink about it.

Just take a copy of the MSDS sheet with you when go to the PO. The stuff is not flammable or chemically react with anything it could come in contact with. Should be good to go! The PO may put a label on the box if it contains liquids.

Thanks for the tip ken, but it was the seller not me that was concerned about it, but maybe know tell next go round I'll try and talk him into it.

Oh, just though of something else, I have received liquids in the mail. They were package inside a heavy plastic ziplock bag, placed in a box with shredded paper. Don't recall a label on the box indicating liquids inside.

Very nice bro, that looks killer
I got some 8" lapping wheels on ebay from Kent supplies, they are 15 bucks each, I got a 500gr and 1200gr, and not having a machine I just gripped them in the lathe and free hand lapped em resting the scraper on the compound rest, it's working ok but I wanna build a lapping machine, and build a special tool rest that I can transfer between the grinder and the lapper easily. I got a 6" norton green wheel, I got it locally and it was kind of expensive, 37 dollars with a company discount. It's a 120gr, kind of a chore to shape the radius with that. With the 1200gr lap I was expecting a shiny edge but it's not, but it does cut like a motha lol.

One question I have about your planer, now that it's super flat, is the base parallel with the blade? Is there anyway you can test for that? Does it even matter that much? I would assume it's the same effect as a mill head being out of tram.

Can you show a pic of your finish blade, I'm interested in the radius

I used a 3" radius. I intend to drop that to 2" when I get my carbide blade. You can see some deep scratches in the sole of the plane. Those were caused by insufficient relief of the corners of the blade. I am still not happy with my sharpening. I don't think my depth of cut is more than just scratching at the surface and that is probably from not maintaining angles when honing. I should have built a jig, but I was impatient to try scraping. That is one reason I'm not sure I'm cut out to do scraping. Patience is not my strong suit.

Right right, I noticed my stuff being scratched up bad when I didn't get the edge perfect, the little chips in the edge would leave ridges. You could get a couple of them disks like I got, made it real easy to lap on the lathe, free shipping and only 15 dollars each. I still intend to make a blade holder for sharpening that slides and pivots. Interested in what you come up with.

looks like you're getting the hang of it!:D
something that may help your scraping, scrape at 45* angle to the centerline of the part you are scraping.
i noticed that you have some scrapes that are going transverse across the face, no big deal.
your scrapes will look more unifom if you go at 45* and rotate the part after each cycle

believe me when i say that patience is something that is cultivated,
unless that is, you were given patience by the Gods.

Back