RF-20 Electrical Question

shell70634

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have a WT Rf-20 mill/drill with a broken switch. My questions are:
1. Where can I get a replacement?
2. Is the motor capable of reversing and is the switch missing a reverse button?
3. If I can't find a replacement switch can I adapt a drum switch that I can get from McMaster Carr?
4. Can the motor be set up to operate on 220?
IMG_1169.JPG
IMG_1173.JPG
IMG_1176.JPG

Don't know how to rotate pics. They're oriented correctly on my computer.

I'm no expert, but typically if a motor can be operated at 110 or 220, it will state that on the data plate.

tcweb, I thought so too but I have a older Craftsman planer that is marked 110 on the outside but inside the cover are instructions to convert to 220. All the specs in the manual say 110 but the last page said it was 110/220.

unless i'm mistaken,
the 4 poles run in parallel for 110v
for 220v operation, the 4 poles would run in series

Your third photo looks like the configuration for forward and reverse. Reversing a capacitor start motor is accomplished by reversing the one of the two windings. One winding would be 1-3 and the other would be 2-4. Check out with an ohmmeter to confirm.

A drum switch will do the job but in this case a simple dpdt (double pole, double throw) switch will work as you have separate on/off control.

My guess is that the motor is 110v operation only. Mike is correct for convertible motors but being able to switch from 110 to 220 requires that the connections between the two run windings are brought out to a terminal block and that the motor was not set up with the two run windings in series for 110 operation.

I purchased a drum switch, now I have to determine how to wire it up. I have a few questions about the diagram below. The wires from the motor are numbered and I understand where they need to be. Am I right in assuming the rectangles with the "+"and "-" sign depict power in? The pictured terminal block shows 6 terminals, the one on the machine has 4. I don't think that's a problem. The second photo shows the connections depicted by the diagram. The third photo is the switch I'm replacing with the drum switch. I've tried to locate an exact replacement but was unsuccessful, hence the drum switch. Can anyone tell me if the switch pictured was made to reverse? I don't know what's missing.

Thank you for all the help so far. Membership here has been a great education.

Shelly

IMG_1176.JPG

IMG_1205.JPG

IMG_1173.JPG

Problem solved. I was over thinking.
IMG_1310.JPG

Shelly: Nice job on that, looks like you have it well in hand
PS: Electrical posts usually get noticed (and responded to) faster in the "all about electrical issues" section
-Mark

Back