Rf-20 Spindle Lubrication?

Galaxieman

Registered
Registered
Have a simple question:

How does one lubricate the lower spindle bearing? (And the upper...)

What type of lubricant is used?

Thanks,

Galaxieman

Am I asking this question at the wrong Forum?

The manual for the RF-20 only says to 'lubricate daily' and if the spindle is making noise or excessively hot to 'grease' it. There is no 'grease fitting' that I can see.

How are these things lubed? And, with what type of lubricant?

Thanks...

Right forum, wrong readers. Those of us who have read this don't know. Is this a lathe or a milling machine. In any case, it's possible it has ball or roller bearings that are permanently lubed and the manual was written for a machine with sleeve bearings.

Milling Machine "Model RF-20" (The nameplate says:"Buffalo MM-1 Milling Machine")

The parts list says the bottom Spindle bearing is a 'tapered roller bearing' with a 'bearing cap'

The upper Spindle bearing is listed as a 'ball bearing' with a 'bearing spacer' and 'outer bearing cap'.

The manual I have came with the machine...

Does this help narrow it down?

The tapered roller bearings in the spindle aren't something you would lubricate daily; you would have to disassemble the spindle to clean and re-grease them, which you would do only rarely or if there's a problem. Any general purpose grease from the auto parts store should be OK. Same with the upper ball bearings, unless they're sealed bearings in which case they don't get lubricated at all. The "daily lubrication" mentioned is probably for the spindle sliding surfaces and the ways, which use "Mobil DTE Oil Heavy Medium".

thank you....

The reason I am asking is that lately the lower spindle bearing area seems to get hotter than 'normal'. So, I was thinking that it might need lubrication. In the manual under trouble shooting it says:

"The temperature of the spindle bearing is too hot:

a Grease is insufficient - Fill the grease

b The spindle bearing is fixed too tight - Turning with no speed and feel the tightness with hand.

c Turning at high speed for a long time - Turn to lightly cutting."

So, how and where do I 'fill the grease'?

Last edited:
Sounds like confusion in the "Chinglish" manual. You don't "fill" it. Just like greasing the wheel bearings in a car, you have to take the whole thing apart,remove the bearings, clean out all the old grease with solvent, repack the bearings with new grease, and put it back together.

Back