Rf-31 Mill/drill Question

Here's a suggestion before you mount the mill on the cabinet... go to the auto parts store and buy a metal drip tray (kind of like a really big cookie sheet, I think mine's about 2' x 3') and sandwich it between the cabinet and mill to catch chips, oil, etc. Also gives you a place to lay tools.

Ok, so here's a couple pictures of something new and shiny for you guys! Just got it today. Don't mind the mess in the background, I've been going through everything in the garage lately and giving it a well deserved douch.

Fanman. I like the chip tray idea, I'll stop tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

Mark, I'm fairly new to machining, I bought a mini mill the end of last year and quickly decided I wanted something bigger. I decked it out with full igaging DRO, spindle light, and air chip removal. I decided to sell it and took the money from that and bought the big boy in the pictures here. I do know how to tram, square a vise, adjust gibs and backlash, use an edge finder, pretty much all the basics. My mini mill I had was trimmed and squared to .0005. I'm a finish carpenter by trade, so being very precise is kind of my thing. No pictures of the stand just yet, I'm waiting for paint to dry. Hopefully in the next couple days I'll get this bad boy apart and moved onto the stand and reassembled. I'm VERY excited to run it!!

What size vise are you guys using for this machine? I have a 3" kurt clone from my mini mill but I want to buy a bigger one. I was thinking either a 5" or 6". Would 6" be overkill in your opinion?

Here's a few pics of my mini mill for all you picture lovers. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg

Did your 4 legged inspector approve?

The pup looks like it is not to sure about your new toy. Nice Looking machine Congrats! I had a mini also. and although it did al I expected it would, when I ran into a good deal on my Jet 15 I jumped on it. I kind of wish I would have kept the LMS mini. It's only real fault being it could only make a cut of .050 with a 1/2 end mill.
I think you will be happier with what this machine can do as far as DOC. For a vise I have a 3" that looks the same as the one on your mini. I have not bought anything bigger simply because it has not been a PIA using it. I either have parts that fit in the vise or parts that clamp to the table. I have been eyeing A two piece vice though. Some say the 6" stick out the back to far others like them. Well Congrats, enjoy and thanks for sharing.
Mark

Well it's up and kinda running. Got it in place last night. A friend and I muscled it up on the stand and got it put back together. I quickly bolted the vise to it and a 3/8 end mill and went at some mild steel. HUGE difference vs the mini mill! Now I just have to order a DRO for it and get it trammed and I'll be ready to go. Here's a few pics.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Minimill,
I don't want to bust your bubble but I think you installed it wrong. I think the head goes up.:idea:
You must have taken the photos in the evening. If you would have taken them in the morning the head of the mill would have been pointing the other way.

OK. I'm done with the wise cracks. It is looking good. Nice looking stand. 3/8 should go about .100. just don't feed real fast. I was so much happier with my Jet-15 over the mini.
Any how have fun let us know how things progress.
Mark

Nice looking stand, mill looks good, too.

I'm using a 4" Shars 440V vise, works well for me. A 5" may be OK, but I think a 6" would be a bit much. Depends what type of work you do.

What type of Dro are you getting? I have the Igauging DRO on mine.

I have a 6" vise on my RF31 and it is a bit much most of the time, but every now and then it comes in handy. I also have a swivel base, which I would probably not opt for were I to do it again. I've though about removing the vise from it more than once - just never get around to it. Your main issue the way I see it will be keeping the stand solid to reduce chatter and vibration. I filled mine with steel, lead, and sand. It helps a lot.

Nice looking stand!

I've got the craftex version of the same mill...just finished getting the x and y of the igaging dro scales mounted, working on z. These things are work horses, just need to be a bit more patient when raising/lowering the head to reposition....not a big deal for a hobbyist who isn't trying to generate an income IMHO. Have fun!

Brassmanget,
A couple of anchor bolts and you could stop wasting all that metal.:grin big:

Back