RF-45 clone motor issues.

After posting the message about my exploding cap and subsequent 3Ph +VFD conversion, another thought occurred to me: Both my original 1single phase 1HP, 120V lathe motor and the 2HP, 240V mill motor used the same capacitors --150uF starting cap and 30uF run cap. This suggests two things: one, that if the start winding impedance is as low as I think it is, the start current would be 2X as much on 240V as on 120V. Since the 1HP lathe motor could be hooked up for either 120V or 240V, I would think the centrifugal switch would be much more abused at the higher voltage and current. In any case, the starting circuit is a weak link. Secondly, the phase shifted run current would be inversely proportional to the cap value, or 1/5 the starting cap current. The 3ph motor is superior because all three windings are equivalent and all contribute to establishing the direction of rotation. And, like I said, no switches, no capacitors....
Craig

So, bare with me here. Electricity and related are not my strong point. But I gather you are suggesting that if I rewire the motor for 110V, it may be easier on the start winding? I'm not sure that that is easily done on my mill as the whole control box, including the power feed and Z axis motor are 220V......

Also, It would have been my assumption that 220V would be less stress on the motor as it requires lees amps to achieve the same power output.

And another also. That is an extremely slick conversion you did. Do you happen to remember what the shaft size on your motor was? I think mine is metric, I want to say it's 25 mm, or something very close to that.
Could you relay the information about that 3ph motor you have on you mill that is pertinent? I would be very interested in switching it over to 3ph with a VFD.

Thoro:
My mill had a motor with a metric D90 frame (flange mounted), but the shaft was 19mm diameter, not the normal 24mm of a D90 frame. Look at a Leeson 192206 (try http://www.electricmotorwholesale.com). 19mm is the diameter of the shaft on a D80 frame. I could not find any off-the-shelf metric motor to drop in without needing to machine down the shaft to fit into the top gear. I think that the mill's manufacturer (Sabre is the label) originally used a 1.5HP D80 frame motor, then upped it to 2hp and for them it was easier to order a D90 motor with the smaller shaft than to change their gearbox. Incidentally, the flange mounting is the same for both sizes. If your motor fits the D90 outline, including the shaft size, the 2HP Leeson should drop right in. The link above has an outline drawing under the "files" tab.

I did suggest that the stress on the starter switch would be less at the lower voltage, but general wisdom says to operate the motor at the highest voltage available for other reasons, such as lower IR drop in the wiring. If you look at the nameplate on your motor, it will list available voltages. On mine, it listed 230/460, so it was already operating at the lowest voltage. I just think the contact design on my motor was inadequate.
If the Leeson fits and you are up to the rewiring job, it would result in a better mill. In addition to the advantages of variable speed, I think the Leeson is a better motor than what comes on most of these RF-45 clone mills. I can't emphasize enough how getting the two contactors, capacitors and centrifugal switch out of the electrics improves the durability.

I have attached the wiring diagram I created for my mill. (I am an electrical engineer and while motors and such were not my specialty I consider myself competent to do this design.) Notice, no contactors are needed. Additional information:
1. Fuses are required by the VFD. They are of a specific type, listed in the VFD manual.
2. I added a fan for optimal cooling of the VFD.
3. My front panel switches are a POWER switch, FWD-STOP-REV, and E-STOP.
4. Only the POWER switch needs to handle 240V @20A, the others are switching 24VDC from the TECO that it uses for logic inputs. How they control the unit is part of the software setup.
5. Do NOT put any switch or relay between the VFD and the motor. The VFD can actually stop the motor quicker than disconnecting it which might damage the electronics. I think my ramp-down speed is set to 0.8 seconds for E-STOP.

I have no doubt the cheapest solution for you is to manicure the motor's centrifugal switch contacts and replace the starting cap if it is shorted. A new motor and VFD will cost you about $400, depending on how much you have to spend for the electrical bits and pieces. If your mill is under warranty maybe you can get the mfr. to replace the motor? But if you do the 3 phase upgrade, it will be a lot more durable plus have variable speed at the twist of a knob. Let me know if you need any additional info.
Craig

Attachments

• mill vfd wiring diagram.pdf
    219.6 KB · Views: 28
This is awesome information. Thanks a lot. I think once I finish my sb heavy 10 rebuild, this vfd conversion for my mill might make it to the top of my roundtuit list.

Back