Rhodes shaper!

The only reference I could find so far is that it should have a strokes per minute of 30 - 95 which I would assume is achieved through the stepped pulley. It also listed the rpm of the countershaft to be 200. Any chance you have a tach you could put on the countershaft? Here's where I found the info: http://www.eurospares.com/graphics/Tools/shapers/rhodes7combo4.jpg

rhodes7combo4.jpg

You know, I think you should get one of those "fans" the girls used to dance with, the ones made out of ostrich feathers, and attach it to the angle plate. That would just add so much to the experience. :lmao:

-Ron

rhodes7combo4.jpg

My Lewis runs at 38, 61 and 89 SPM on a three-step pulley. Your large countershaft pulley is a lot bigger than mine, but the others are bigger, too. Gear ratio could come into play.

Horsepower in itself won't make any difference. The RPM of the motor is tied to number of poles in the windings, not overall power.

Good Morming all,
Very nice shaper!! I have a like new South Bend 7" and here is what I did to slow it down and add to what you can do with it.
First, not many know this yet as it is somewhat new. Up to 1hp there are VFD's that have 110v input, then they convert to 500+
volts dc then take that and generate equal sign wave 3ph 240v output. No short wave. 100% motor output. Now to what I did
to my 7" shaper. 1/2hp 6pole 1140rpm used motor, used allen-bradly 110v in 240v-3ph out VFD and swapped out the original
4pole 1750rpm 1/2hp. With the VFD I can run the moter from 500 to 1500rpm with more torque than the 1ph 1/2hp. Now for
the realy great part. I programed in a momentary jog button with a breaking resister. I am now able to set 500rpm do one
cut, advance .0005 with a very sharp tool and one cut again. The breaking resister stops the motor however fast you want.
I have about $100 in motor and drive. First thing I made with my shaper set up this way is a dovetailed long range tang sight
for my Sharps rifle. The mated dovetail parts are as tight as if I spent 2 days lapping, not the slop of the 90deg slide surfacees
of other sights. Forgot to mention, 240v 1ph in 240v 3ph out VFD's will go up to 3hp for around $200 new. I run my Bridgeport
and 3hp lathe with them also.

Rick

Back