Rikon 15-400

vvanders

Registered
Registered
Picked up a new Rikon 15-400 metal saw and I'm wondering if my expectations are too high or I just got a lemon. Saw them on LMS so figured they were well regarded and a step up from some of the entry level saws.

However I've had no end of problems with it including:
* Cracked power switch housing when arrived(as best I can tell the auto-shutoff contacted the switch in shipping). Ordered a replacement part so that's fixable.
* Pretty significant vibrations when running(motor vibrates 0.5-1" under power), top wheel is balanced, and motor runs freely so I suspect something in the gearbox/pulley.
* Blade guard/table screw were *tight* and rusted, I got one free but the other stripped out on me. I'm soaking it in penetrating oil with the hope that drill + extractor will get it out.
* Doesn't cut stock straight(this just seems like an adjustment that I haven't had time to get to yet).

Wrote their tech support over two weeks ago heard exactly zero back from them. I'm hoping I don't have to change the blade before I can sort out the blade guard since it requires removing that before you can change it.

Anyone else had similar issues? I get needing to setup/dial in a machine but for $700 I was expecting to run into less issues.

The motor shouldn't vibrate like that, there may be pulley issues, or maybe a bad belt
Not cutting straight may be an issue you can't fix completely- error from start of cut to finish is dependent on the accuracy of the
saw main pivot as it comes from the factory, but a poor OEM blade can also cause it as well as too much downforce or incorrect blade tension
Check the basic perpendicularity of the blade to the table with a carpenter's or machinist's square- lift and lower the saw while watching
To me, the saw looks just like a HF unit with a fancy paint job- I could be wrong- did you buy it thru LMS?

Last edited:
Yeah, I've got a new belt on the way. I did check the run-out on the two pulleys and they were within 3-4 thou so I don't think that's the issue.

I didn't go through LMS, they wanted ~$250 in LTL shipping on a $700 saw, although with the issues I'm seeing maybe it may have been better to not have it shipped standard UPS(total weight was ~100lbs).

The not cutting straight is annoying but right now I just add extra stock and face it off after cutting, I've got some better blades to try but until I can get the screw on the blade guard off I can't try them. I'm hoping soaking in penetrating oil overnight finally gets it out, I really don't want to have to drill it out and re-tap(the area is short enough I can't easily get a drill in straight).

Well I've made some improvements.

The vibration was a belt issue, a new OEM belt as the saw running smoothly. I *finally* got the blade guard off after 3 days of soaking with penetrating oil + attacking it multiple times with screw extractor. I've replaced the OEM blade and I'll see if that does anything for the wandering cut.

The power button was also damaged in transit so swapped that out with a new part as well, however the blade-stop adjustment screw seems to have seized the same way as the blade guard.

Overall pretty unimpressed, I could have picked up a HF/Klutch/etc for significantly less and feel like I'd probably have gotten a better quality saw. From what I saw elsewhere Rikon seemed to be a reasonable brand but between all the issues and them not getting back at all when I contacted their support I don't think I'll be recommending them anytime soon.

Back