Ring/groove boring bar?

slowneasy

Registered
Registered
I need an internal ring/groove boring bar that has a depth of at least 2", fit into a .625" ID to cut a ring .020" deep and .035" in width for an internal retaining snap ring. Problem is, I can't seem to locate one. Carbide would be best and it wouldn't matter to me if it was solid or indexable. I've looked over Micro 100 but didn't see anything that had a depth greater than 1.500".
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Kennemetal top notch .

Here is pic of one I made solid carbide bar with carbide tip silver soldered on end

. Also found a 3/8 x 6 inch carbide bar on eBay for about 30 bucks with free shipping. Easy to silver solder a carbide tip on.

If it’s an Id bore 2 inches deep and 5/8 dia it‘s going to be a ***** to check size and depth.

the bar in pic is left hand cutting.

Attachments

• 35BAA56C-3D95-4FB6-BA0E-92ACE70895A5.jpeg
    35BAA56C-3D95-4FB6-BA0E-92ACE70895A5.jpeg
    224.8 KB · Views: 27
Nice Jimsehr! I've just started looking on ebay. Hopefully something workable will pop up in the next week or two.
I hope it won't be too difficult to cut the groove and since it is an internal snap ring as long as I'm real close (hehe) it should work.

Larry, I may have to do something like that though I really don't want to. If I have to, probably try putting something together out of HSS first to see if that would work all right. Last choice though.

mmcmdl, thanks for the direction. went to Kennemetals site and that thing is a real bear to navigate on, ugh! Pages won't load or take forever. I'll try later but I couldn't get anywhere.

I feel if no one has a solid lead on something doable, my best bet will likely be me getting lucky on ebay. I bet by the time I find one, I will have forgotten what I needed it for:frown:

Ischgl99, thank you! that's the most promising I've seen yet. I need to study the information that Kaiser provides and find the part numbers/codes I think would work. Nice

You won't get a top notch for a .625 bore.

I don't need to get one , I have them .

I really like the “top notch” stuff I have, but it won’t do a 5/8” bore. If you actually have such, please, how about a part number, picture or link.

Edit: yep, the Kennametal website is an incredible mess. You have to wonder if anybody there has ever looked at It.

Last edited:
Back