Riser blocks for an imaging telescope rig.

oaklandish

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I needed to raise my imaging telescope up off of the dovetail plate to allow for a mini PC and other electronics used for Astrophotography. Riser blocks that fit the specific telescope and only raising the scope a minimal amount are not off the shelf parts so I decided to make my own.

Found a drop of 2x2 6061 bar stock at the metal supply place and after rough cutting on the band saw I milled them to spec.
IMG_3941.JPG

IMG_3943.JPG

IMG_3945.JPG

Added chamfers:
IMG_3947.JPG

Cleaned and polished on the buffing wheel:
IMG_3949.JPG

Installed on the imaging rig:
IMG_3950.JPG

The whole imaging rig at a very dark site in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Where I camped for 3 separate nights to capture enough data to make the image below. The motorized mount tracks a single guide star within the field of view with extreme precision (about .3 arc sec on average) as the target moves across the sky (actually we rotate under neath it). And just for reference, an arc second is 1/3600 of a degree and this mount guides within 1/3 of this amount or about .0000926 degrees:
IMG_4160.JPG

Squid Nebula (blue cigar shaped cloud) inside the Flying bat nebula (red region) with the Dark Seahorse Nebula in the upper right corner. To make images like these we take consecutive exposures of the same field of view for as long as it takes to give enough data to overwhelm the noise associated with the electronics and light pollution. Hundreds of 10min exposures combine into essentially this 54 hour long exposure:
Squid2NINA1.jpg

Amazing ! :encourage::cool:

Well, colour me dumbfounded.......

I never knew images like that were even remotely in the realm of hobby level people with hobby level budgets!

Remarkable!

Brian

Since the advent of digital cameras in the hands of hobbyist, the state of astro-photography has been just outstanding. Before it was take some pictures, send the film out for development and maybe have one good one out of 36. Today the photos we can take surpasses the best that we saw in the text books back in the day.
Pierre

wow! Beautiful workmanship (I struggled to find the edge of the rearmost block against the wood!) and stunning pictures. Absolutely stunning. To think that those pretty clouds are the remnants of exploding stars boggles the mind.

wow! Beautiful workmanship (I struggled to find the edge of the rearmost block against the wood!) and stunning pictures. Absolutely stunning. To think that those pretty clouds are the remnants of exploding stars boggles the mind.
Thank you!

Yeah the Squid was only discovered about 6 years ago. We had catalogued the Flying Bat but the squid is almost entirely Oiii (Oxygen three and is seen as blue to us) and no one thought to image using that filter in the region especially since it is extremely faint. The Flying Bat is almost entirely Ha (Hydrogen Alpha and is seen as red to us. So if you were to image with a color camera you would be unable to see the Squid unless you imaged it for 100s of hours. It still requires dark skies, lots of integration time (mine was over 55hrs) and extremely sensitive narrowband filters that only allow the wavelengths of Oiii or Ha (sometimes Sii or Nii as well) to pass through.

Last edited:
super cool, thanks for the info. I've always had an interest in astronomy and I teach Astrobiology every so often (my main classes are Genetics and Developmental Biology), so I try to keep up on discoveries, missions and general astronomy.

Back