Rivett "1R" watchmaker's lathe, seeking someone willing to repair headstock

cazclocker

Purveyor of cheese.
Registered
This is a shot in the dark, but I'm looking for name/contact info for someone willing to open up the headstock of a Rivett 1R watchmaker's lathe.
Before you ask, NO, I can't seem to do it myself.
Those were the lathes with the ball-bearing headstocks instead of Rivett's traditional cone spindles. The lathe I'm hoping to have worked on has some severe issues - the headstock will turn given enough effort, but it's extremely bumpy-feeling when turned. I've been told the worst thing to do is try to turn it - which is what I've done several times before I was told about the damaging effects of turning by force. And....that's not the only issue... the internal locking pin (inside the spindle) that secures the collet appears to be snapped off & missing.
I have read about a guy named James P. Riser who seems to be exactly the kind of guy I'd like to see tackle the job, but he seems unreachable.
I'm attaching pics of an old Rivett brochure to show the lathe in question.
Suggestions welcome.

Attachments

• 01.jpeg
    01.jpeg
    342.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 02.jpeg
    02.jpeg
    313.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 03.jpeg
    03.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 15
Yes, I know it seems like a simple job. But it's NOT. Hence, the second line in my original post.
Disassembling the headstock requres several things that I don't have - like specialized tools, time & patience.

Yes, I know it seems like a simple job. But it's NOT. Hence, the second line in my original post.
Disassembling the headstock requres several things that I don't have - like specialized tools, time & patience.
You only said you can't seem to do it myself. You never said why. To me, I thought you were not willing to.
As far as special tools, that's why owning machines is fun, you can make your own tools when you don't have, and they are too expensive or hard to obtain.

I expect the taking it apart is easy, since you're not worried about damaging the bearings. The putting back together tends to get difficult. Also, the paying for the bearings is pretty hurtful, as well. I have a Logan 200 lathe and disassembled the headstock. The bearings would have been ruined by the disassembly process if they had been any good to begin with. $300 later and I had new bearings. I've been scheming on how to press it all back together without ruining the bearings and I will have to build 2 or 3 special pressing fixtures to do it. So I understand the desire to find someone who's already done it. Luckily I have the shop equipment to build the fixtures I need, just need to be able to spend the time on it. Good luck.

Last edited:
Maybe check the members map and see who is close by, and message them? If you have no luck here,You may be able to find a local machine shop to get it apart and diagnose the issues. Order parts. Shouldn’t cost much to have it looked at.
Martin

Back